Will This Bump Ever Go Away? (photo)

I had a septo-rhinoplasty done 3 months ago and when the dr took my cast off my nose was smooth and I loved it( 2 weeks postop). & now 3 months later I noticed its still tender and the tip is hard and hurts sometimes. Also there's a dent in my dorsal and also a hump and the hump feels hard like bone & now you can't even tell I got a nose job.this is depressing.do I need revision?also my insurance paid for this does it cover revision? Pictures 1before 2.1 month post op 3.2 month post op 4.3mpo

Revison Rhinoplasty....Bump on Dorsum of Nose 3 Months After Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi Crymel,   It appears that the bump will not "go away" without revision surgery.  We recommend waiting at least 6 to 12 months before considering revision rhinoplasty.  Insurance companies, can you say Obamacare, will not pay for cosmetic rhinoplasty or revisions.  They will pay a small amount toward a septoplasty, a procedure that is performed to improve the breathing of a patient.  Good luck and be well.   Dr. Persky

Residual bump three months after rhinoplasty.

+2

It takes 6 to 12 months for the final swelling to go away. If the bump does not show that it is going away in another 3 to 4 months I would return to your surgeon to see the possibility of filing the residual bump down. If you are not happy with his answers seek a second opinion from an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon

Will this bump ever go away?

+1

Hello, and sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing after surgery. It is not abnormal to experience some hardness in the tip 3 months after surgery. In general, the duration of nasal tip swelling is greater under the following circumstances:

1) The procedure was open
2) Extensive tip work was performed

The dent and hump you are describing could also be due to swelling, which can give the appearance of asymmetry and irregularities. It is too soon to tell whether you need a revision, as it can take up to one year for the result of your surgery to be evident. Insurance will not cover cosmetic changes to the nose. They may cover a portion of a cosmetic change, but this is only the case if the issue is affecting your breathing. An example of this would be a patient with pinched nostrils. In general, insurance will cover issues that are functional in nature, and cosmetic changes are billed separately. I would recommend giving it some time and see how you continue to heal before coming to any conclusions about your result. Your surgeon should be able to answer any questions you have in the meantime. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will This Bump Ever Go Away?

+1

This may need a revision but I would give yourself some additional time. The nose can be swollen for up to a year or more. Swelling will depend upon the nature of maneuvers employed, presence of grafts or implants, thickness of skin, open vs closed, revision vs primary, etc.