Bump and Slightly Crooked Nose from Being Broken - is There ANY Possibility Insurance Would Cover This? (photo)

I broke my nose about six months ago. There's now a small bump (that never used to be there) and it's crooked, but only noticeable to most people if I point it out. I was scheduled to see a plastic surgeon but he canceled so I was wondering if there's any chance insurance could cover this (I can't afford it). It doesn't affect my breathing so I'm thinking no, unfortunately, but I still thought I'd ask. Thanks!

Bump with a crooked nose

Thank you for your inquiry!

It seems that you are a good candidate for a rhinoplasty that will improve the way your nose looks to complement your facial features in a natural fashion. As for the insurance issue, some of them do actually cover certain types of reconstructive surgeries.

It is important to mention that the finest cosmetic results in any particular case are based on a variety of factors, including: the unique anatomy of the patient, realistic expectations, a well-informed and detailed discussion with your plastic surgeon concerning the best options for you especially covering a deep understanding of the pros and cons of any given choice you will adopt.

Please keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon online who offers to tell you what to do without a physical examination covering the nature and the status of the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative solution would not be in your best interest. With that in mind, it is the safest and for your best interest to find a plastic surgeon with solid experience and certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who is ideally a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons that you will trust and be comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Good luck!!!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Insurance and rhinoplasty

Depending on your insurance company, they will likely cover some or all of the functional portion of your surgery that will help improve breathing if it is impaired. Any cosmetic changes, such as rasping a nasal hump, will be billed separately. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Broken nose covered by insurance

Documentation is the key to having a medical necessity to be able to submit   to your medical insurance. If an x-ray shows it has been fractured, the pictures  the nose show it is twisted and deviated it can be submitted to insurance. Be prepared to pay for it yourself  if your  insurance denies the claim.

Nasal surgery and insurance

Every insurance company is different.  If you have adequate documentation like ER visit, xrays etc.; you may get some coverage.  It is worth a try.  Sometimes insurance will pay if it opens the airway but not for cosmetic improvement.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD

Insurance Coverage for Rhinoplasty

Thanks for the question. If breaking your nose caused deviation of your nasal bones to one side or the other, it's certainly possible that insurance may cover some or all of the cost of your rhinoplasty. In cases such as yours, insurance companies typically request the physician's clinical notes and photos taken during your consultation. In my practice, we have been able to get insurance to cover nasal reconstruction (reconstructive rhinoplasty) for numerous patients, though it seems to depend to some extent on how crooked the nose looks in photos. If you have any documentation of the nasal fracture (e.g. CT scan, x-rays, ER visit, notes from other physician etc.), you should bring those to your consultation. Other reasons for insurance coverage during rhinoplasty include difficulty breathing through the nose, deviated septum, large turbinates, and narrow internal valves

Check with your insurance company to see who is in-network in your area. At the consultation, as to see photos similar to yours and make sure your surgeon does a large volume of rhinoplasty. 

Best regards,

Dr. Mehta

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon