I'm 57 Years Old And Want A Tummy Tuck. Will My Age Make A Different On This Decision?

I have a bulging disk and my belly is so big it causes severe pain on my back.  And how much is it going to cost me?

Too old for tummy tuck?

+1
Thank you for your post. Age is not a contraindication to surgery. Poor health is. If you are a healthy adult, and interested in a tummy tuck surgery, meet with a board certified plastic surgeon. He or she will assess you as a patient for any risks you might have. The biggest risks are heart disease, diabetes, smoking, high blood pressure, and previous history of deep venous thrombosis.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Age and tummy tuck

+1

You are not too old for a tummy tuck. What is more important is your overall health status. Please visit with a board certified ASPS member surgeon to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Decision making on tummy tuck

+1

Age can be one variable in decision making on tummy tuck.  However, as long as you are healthy, you will safely undergo tummy tuck.  I have performed tummy tuck on healthy 60s without complication.  Your plastic surgeon will review your medical and surgical history as well as medication prior to determining whether you can undergo tummy tuck.  Obviously, safety is number one concern in elective surgery.

In regards to the cosmetic outcome of tummy tuck, you will get a better result if you are at your stable, goal weight.  Again, your plastic surgeon will perform a physical examination to make sure that you are a good candidate for the surgery.

Cost of tummy tuck varies depending on surgeon's fee, anesthesia fee, and facility fee.  Cost will vary geographically and from surgeon to surgeon.  

My advice is for you to go for a consultation with a reputable, board-certified plastic surgeon.

Sugene Kim, MD

I'm 57 Years Old And Want A Tummy Tuck. Will My Age Make A Difference on This Decision?

+1

Your age by itself is not an absolute contraindication.  Tummy tuck may cost $6500 at the low end.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and tummy tuck revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

I'm 57 Years Old And Want A Tummy Tuck.

+1

No, you are not too old to benefit from a TT, provided that your general health is satisfactory. As to costs, that will vary according to where you live, and the precise nature of the procedure that you will need. RealSelf does have fees noted by geographic area. All the best. 

Age to Have a Tummy Tuck?

+1

57 years of age is generally not considered to be too old for a tummy tuck. Whether you are an appropriate candidate depends more on your general medical health, individual anatomy, a thorough understanding of the benefits as well as the potential problems that can occur with any procedure, and a realistic expectation.

I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person at the consultation.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Advanced age is not usually an issue to undergo a tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for the question.  A patient that is a good candidate for a tummy tuck and does not have health issues to prevent undergoing surgery can undergo a tummy tuck procedure without much emphasis on age.  It is not unheard of for 60 and 70 year old patient who are good candidates and healthy to undergo a tummy tuck procedure.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD