Bulging Around Stitches Post Rhinoplasty, Normal?

I am 4 days post op following a rhino/septo/turbinoplasty and I have noticed that the skin around the sutures is bulging a little and looking lumpy. Will this heal normally or is it an indication that I will be left with a lumpy looking columella?

The swelling can be prominent at this early stage.  I would follow with your surgeon.

Bulging around stitches post rhinoplasty normal?

It is not abnormal to have swelling around the sutures after rhinoplasty, and the swelling will improve over time. I would recommend communicating any post-operative concerns to your surgeon, as they know the details of your procedure. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Sutures of nose and skin lumpy

Since you just had a rhinoplasty, it is normal to have swelling at the suture line. Once the sutures are removed and time has past, the swelling will likely come down and this lumpiness should look better.

Bulging Around Rhinoplasty Sutures

Bulging around sutures 4 days out from rhinoplasty surgery (or any surgery for that matter) is absolutely normal.  This is due to swelling and will subside somewhat before the sutures come out.  In my experience, if using 5-0 sized sutures or smaller, there will be no evidence of the sutures having been in place if they are removed by day 7.

Richard Parfitt, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon