Why Do I Have Bulging 7 1/2 Months Post Op Tummy Tuck?

I had my tummy tuck on 3/29/10 and up until about 1 1/2 months ago I was ecstatic with my results. I now have midsection swelling or a distended/protruding midsection. I attribute it to swelling but not sure.Its especially noticeable on my right side.It gives my belly button an outtie look.I've heard once u hit that 6-7 month mark you experience major swell hell.I cant say its weight gain because Ive weighed 128 lbs since after my surgery & my eating habits have been better than ever.Any advise?

Swellinbg of abdomen 7 months after a tummy tuck

+1

Having swelling that you describe more than 7 months after a tummy tuck shoudl be evaluated by your surgeon. It may be more than just swelling.  It could be a seroma?

Abnormal swelling may be more than just swelling

+1

Post-operative swelling should have resolved by now. Something else is likely going on- such as a fluid collection (seroma), or more likely, that the plication (muscle tightening) has pulled apart. I would talk to your surgeon.

Lawrence Iteld, MD

Strange abdominal swelling 7.5 months after tummy tuck

+1

I don't specifically undertstand the cause for your swelling and recomnmend that you should have it evaluated.

REVERSAL in Appearance of Tummy Tuck Result

+1

Regarding: "Why Do I Have Bulging 7 1/2 Months Post Op Tummy Tuck?
I had my tummy tuck on 3/29/10 and up until about 1 1/2 months ago I was ecstatic with my results. I now have midsection swelling or a distended/protruding midsection. I attribute it to swelling but not sure.Its especially noticeable on my right side.It gives my belly button an outtie look.I've heard once u hit that 6-7 month mark you experience major swell hell.I cant say its weight gain because Ive weighed 128 lbs since after my surgery & my eating habits have been better than ever.Any advise
?"

A photograph and especially a photograph of you Before, 5 months after the surgery and now - would have been extremely useful in suggesting the reason for your result.

If the tummy was flat after the surgery and remained so for 5 months that would suggest that the muscle tightening was done correctly at the time of surgery. Similarly, if you state that you have not gained weight after surgery, that would remove that as a possible consideration.

That leaves failing of the repair with breaking of  muscle tightening stitches which may happen with muscle exertion, vomiting, sit-ups or a blow to the stomach. In some cases, the stitch actually cuts through the muscle lining and may cause bleeding which may explain some of the swelling.

You really should be examined by your surgeon and get to the bottom of what the cause may be. IF it is due to failure of the muscle repair, tightening of the muscles can only be achieved with a re-operation.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Bulge following abdominoplasty

+1

This is a tough one.  Swelling following abdominoplasty may last 6 to 9 months, but it should gradually decline, rather than increase.  If it is above your navel, it may be due to inadequate or failed muscle plication.  This occurs when the laxity in the fascia is poorly repaired or repaired with the wrong material.  It is unlikely a seroma at this late date (fluid collection under the skin).  It would be prudent to visit your doctor and don't be shy to voice your concerns.  The problem will likely be diagnosed by a thorough physical exam.

Good luck!

Jason R. Hess, MD