Bulge Still There--What Next?

I underwent DIEP surgery in August. All was a sucess with breast flaps, and I am cancer free. Soon after the August surgery I noticed a lower abdominal bulge. My PS said it was due to weak abdominal muscles. When the bulge grew bigger, my PS did corrective surgery in Jan. with plication and porcine mesh. I noticed it coming back within a week and now it almost as big as before. What next? Is there any new technique? Will any internal organs be affected? Second opinion? Exercise or not?

DIEP and Bulge

+2

The original bulge that you had was well managed with the porcine matrix and plication.  However, the operation was not successful.  It would be useful to know if you had a true hernia or abdominal wall weakness.  There are other options that can be considered, and I would go back to your original surgeon.  Without knowing if you have a true hernia, I could not advise you about exercise or internal organs.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Hernia or fluid accumulation after a tummy tuck or muscle repair

+1

I would begin with a CT scan to determine the cause of the bulge, whether it is from a seroma or a hernia or laxity of the muscle. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS