Bulge After TT, but Was Flat at First, What Would Cause This?

I had a tummy tuck at the end of May. At first I was really flat. I did have a seroma and I had to have it aspirated for 4 weeks. This was after I had my drains in for 5 weeks. I have a huge bulge now. What could cause a bulge after being flat. Would this be fat if it was gone before?

Seromas after Tummy Tuck

+1
Thank you for your post. Seromas can be painful and cause a cosmetic deformity, as well as sometimes leak. The whole point of drains is to keep a seroma from happening in the first place. If a drainless procedure was performed, and you had a seroma, or you had drains that were pulled and you subsequently had a seroma, then you should be drained, otherwise a capsule builds around the fluid making it permanent. If a capsule builds around the seroma (pseudo bursa or encapsulated seroma) then the only way to remove the seroma is to surgically open the areas and excise the capsule, and close over drains to prevent another seroma from happening. If the seroma is encapsulated and is tight and painful, then it can be confused with just swelling or fat. An ultrasound is useful in distinguishing these and identifying the extent of the seroma. If the seroma is not yet encapsulated, then it is usually loose and has a 'fluid wave' or water bed type feel. Occasionally, a seroma can also become infected, especially if a permanent braided suture was used. This will have a hot, red appearance, and will eventually open up. I have never seen an infection from sterile aspiration of fluid. If seromas continue despite multiple aspirations over an extended period of time, then you need to start thinking about re-openning the incision and excising the entire capsule, both from and back walls, to treat the seroma. Drains need to be placed, internal sutures placed, possibly using a tissue glue or irritant to encourage the tissues to grow together.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Possible recurrent seroma after an abdominoplasty

+1

Hard to know without an examination but it is possible that you have a recurrent seroma with a very dense scar type capsule.  You should be examined by your plastic surgeon.