Bulge in Abs 5 Years After Mini Tummy Tuck

After having twins and subsequent pregnancies, I had separated abs. So, 5 years ago I had a mini tummy tuck where they sewed my abs back together, as my doctor explained. I am wondering if my abs are separating again though as after being sick and vomitting, I feel an uncomfortable bulge in my ab area. This happened once before a year ago and it seemed to ease after some time (although it still doesn't feel quite right). What can cause this? Will I need to get the procedure done again?

Mini or full tummy tuck?

+1

Your situation seems somewhat complicated and you would be best served to be examined in person.

A few words of caution for patients contemplating tummy tuck surgery may be in order:  In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important  for patients seeking abdominal contouring surgery to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve  their chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Abdominal bulge after a tummy tuck and pregnancies

+1

A mini tummy tuck is a safe and effective procedure that can create a more contoured abdomen, a tight waist and a beautiful figure.

In our Miami practice, we have had many patients that have gone on to have successful pregnancies after a tummy tuck. Some patients find that the subsequent pregnancies have stretched their tissue and change their final result. Once these patients are done with having babies, they return to our office for a revision tummy tuck surgery. This is an excellent option because it will not result in any further scarring but can return your abdomen to its previous pregnancy state.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Bulge after a mini-tummy tuck

+1

A bulge can be many differnt things, but the only way to get an idea what it is  would be through a physcial exam.

Bulging In Abdomen After A Mini-Tummy Tuck

+1

It is very difficult to give an exact answer without examination and photos.

However, there are several possibilities as to why you have this bulge:

You may have a recurrent weakness in your abdominal muscles at the site of surgery or above the umbilicus (thus requiring a full tummy tuck).

You may have an abdominal hernia which is unrelated to your procedure.

You may have a growth inside your abdomen (a "tumor).

In each case, you must be evaluated by your surgeon or another qualified surgeon, in order to make the correct diagnosis.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Bulge after a Mini-Tummy Tuck

+1

Regarding: "Bulge in Abs 5 Years After Mini Tummy Tuck
After having twins and subsequent pregnancies, I had separated abs. So, 5 years ago I had a mini tummy tuck where they sewed my abs back together, as my doctor explained. I am wondering if my abs are separating again though as after being sick and vomitting, I feel an uncomfortable bulge in my ab area. This happened once before a year ago and it seemed to ease after some time (although it still doesn't feel quite right). What can cause this? Will I need to get the procedure done again
?"

I agree completely with my colleagues. A MINI Tummy Tuck is a POOR choice for a woman with a history of multiple pregnancies because it uniformly deals ONLY with the portion of the tummy below the belly button and does not involve nor addresses the tummy above the umbilicus.

Mini tummy Tucks are intended for the few women who do not need a full tummy tuck; women with minimal skin looseness of the lower tummy as seen in those who never gained weight and lost it or never had a child OR those who had a small single baby and whose six pack muscles were not split above the belly button. These cases are not common.

I have performed hundreds of tummy tucks and have never seen a woman who has had multiple pregnancies and yet, was spared a splitting of the 6 pack (Rectus abdominis) muscles. In ignoring the needs of such women for a Full Tummy tuck (with full muscle tightening and repair) and instead doing a Mini Tummy Tuck those women are in effect cheated from a MUCH better cosmetic result. In some, where the lower muscles are brought together, the flattening of the lower abdomen results in bulging and pooching of the upper abdomen.

In your case, you may have a ventral hernia, an umbilical hernia or a disruption of the limited muscle repair. I would suggest you see a good Plastic surgeon to sort this out.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Mini vs full tummy tucks

+1

It is hard to imagine that a patient who has had twins plus other pregnancies could ever get a good long term result with a mini tummy tuck.  This is because that operation ONLY addresses the abdomen below the umbilicus.  The muscles above the umbi also needed to be tightened especially since not doing that will make them bulge out even more when only the lower ab muscles are tightened.  You probably need a full TT at this point, probably needed one in the first place too.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Abdominal bulge came back after tumy tuck

+1

In general, I have found that patients with multiple pregnancies require a FULL tummy tuck rather than a mini. It is possible that your full muscle separation was repaired but probably unlikely. The problem with this is that you may have a separation of the muscles above the belly button but not below. Occasionally this causes excessive stress on the lower repair and may make it more likely to recur.