Why Do I Have a Buldge on the Right Side of my Nose After Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I had my rhinoplastsy done 3 months ago. I still have bruising under my right eye, where the bulge is, it feels like a raised bone. Will this go down or will I have to have it fixed?

Bruising & bulging from rhinoplasty

+2

At 3 months from rhinoplasty, it would be highly unlikely to have bruising, although swelling or tough scar tissue may persist.  If an osteotomy of your nasal bones was performed, it could have been a bit aggressive, although this is hard to tell from your photo or description.  In this case, you may not have noticed the residual bony prominence due to overlying soft tissue swelling.  With the swelling subsiding, it has perhaps become more obvious.  Again, this all depends on what was done and if there was any recent trauma that can account for what you are observing now.  I would advise you to wait at least 9-12 months before proceeding with any sort of correctional surgery.  If, at that time, what you are observing is not a bony prominence and happens to be scar tissue, then a trial of steroid injection may be helpful to flatten the area.

Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Bruising and bulge 3 months after rhinoplasty

+2

Hi,

At three months its a little unusual to have any bruising or bulging. Although difficult to see in this picture, it looks like you may have a an inverted V deformity from the osteotomies.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Bulge and Bruise 3months after Rhinoplasty

+2

The photograph shows two areas of swelling on both the left and the right sides of your nose, near your lower eyelids. It appears to be soft tissue swelling.  The photograph is not very clear, so it is difficult for me to see any bony irregularity.  Swelling after a rhinoplasty may take up to six months to settle down.  Bruising usually subsides after three to four weeks. Continue to follow- up closely with your rhinoplasty surgeon.  If it is determined that you need revision surgery it is not recommended until at least six months to one year after the original rhinoplasty.

Rondi Kathleen Walker, MD
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bony bulges on sides of nose

+1

Based on your photos it appears that you have incomplete osteotomies and may benefit from a revision with repeat of the osteotomies

Sam Naficy, MD

Bulge on Bridge 3 Months after Rhinoplasty

+1

It is difficult to determine with these pictures but you an inverted V deformity secondary to the osteotomies, asymmetrical or incomplete osteotomies, or simply prolonged post op swelling (which I think is unlikey). Physical examination is necessary to make the correct diagnosis. Discuss with your surgeon.