How can I fix my bulbous, wide nose? (Photo)

Hi, I'm considering getting rhinoplasty, but wanted some input from professionals first. Would it be possible to fix the bulbous nature of my nose? Also my nostrils are uneven and a little wide, which makes my whole nose look wide. I feel that these features draw attention to my nose, and distract from other features of my face. Are these things fixable? Also, I'm not sure if my health insurance will cover this procedure, so how much could a procedure like this cost? All input is appreciated

Cosmetic rhinoplasty

+1
Cosmetic rhinoplasties are not covered by insurance.  You would need to pay for the procedure in one lump sum or find a company to help you finance it like CareCredit.  Your tip can be corrected with tip refinement techniques.  Your tip width does not appear too wide since it is inside the medial canthus lines.  I would avoid procedures to reduce your tip width since scars can be visible.  Best wishes!

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1
The single front on view you show really doesn't look bad to me at all.  Your tip and nostrils look fine.  I'm not sure based on the single photo that you are a good candidate for nasal surgery.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Bulbous, Wide Nose

+1
Reducing a bulbous nasal tip and achieving more symmetry with the nostrils can usually be achieved with rhinoplasty surgery, but there are multiple factors that can limit or enhance the results, such as your underlying nasal anatomy, thickness of the skin, etc.  The goal is to achieve a softer appearance that is balanced with the rest of your face.  3-D computer imaging will also help you visualize what you may look like afterwards.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you with achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Rhinoplasty for bulbous tip and nostril asymmetry

+1
During rhinoplasty, a bulbous tip can be improved significantly and quite predictably to produce a more refined and proportionate nasal tip. However, the degree of definition of the tip is very dependent on skin thickness - thicker skin limits definition whereas thinner skin allows more details to show. It is important to have realistic expectations and to also aim for a nose that is ethnically congruent. Nostril asymmetry can be improved to a certain degree and it really depends on the type of nostril asymmetry that is present - size, shape, height of alar rim, etc. - as well as the anatomical cause of the nostril asymmetry.

It looks like you would have a significant improvement following rhinoplasty and you should consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that has significant experience in rhinoplasty. Typically, health insurance does not cover procedures that are cosmetic in nature but it would be best if you check with your health insurance policy provider.

Jamil Ahmad, MD

Rhinoplasty for bulbous tip

+1
 Dear beingmyslef, thank you for your question. Rhinoplasty is a popular procedure that can dramatically change one's appearance. Consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon who can perform computer imaging to show you what may be possible. Before and after photos are a good way to evaluate your surgeon. Good Luck!

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for bulbous tip and uneven nostrils

+1
The bulbous tip can be addressed during the rhinoplasty procedure with tip suturing techniques to the lower lateral cartilages. Nostril asymmetry can also be addressed as well. Narrowing the bridge line is accomplished with osteotomies of the nasal bones. A rhinoplasty is cosmetic surgery, and there is no insurance coverage for that.

How can I fix my bulbous, wide nose?

+1
YES! A rhinoplasty would improve all your nasal issues. But best to seek only IN PERSON opinions. And NO! there would be NO insurance coverage - no functional reason for your surgery - is there? 

Rhinoplasty

+1
Your nostrils can be narrowed and the asymmetry corrected.  Your nasal tip is a bit wide for your face and the center part droops.  This can be elevated and the tip can be thinned.  I would need to see in person, but I suspect it can be done with a closed technique.  This allows for faster healing.  Insurance won't cover unless you have nasal obstruction and septal deviation.   Best wishes. 

David Alessi, MD

How can I fix my bulbous, wide nose?

+1
    Your tip can be refined and elevated.  The alar base can be narrowed as well.  Nostril asymmetry can likely be improved but this cannot be assessed from the single photograph.  Insurance will not cover these cosmetic changes.  The cost will typically start at about $5000 or so.

How can I fix my nose? (photo)

+1
YES, it's certainly possible to slightly diminish size and width of your nose and add mild angularity (definition) and projection to your nasal tip.  Ideally, and if well done, the changes would elegantly feminize your nose while preserving the harmony of your nose with other facial features and with your ethnicity.  In disagreement with another responder, from the submitted photo, the nose you were born with is NOT "too wide and big for your face."  In agreement with that responder, you are attractive now, and rhinoplasty is an optional procedure that will enhance your appearance only if well planned and expertly performed.  Aesthetic surgery is specified as a non-covered benefit in health plan contracts.

Steve Laverson, MD