Bulbous Nose Post-op - Risks for Revision?

I had a nose operation carried out four years ago to reduce a minor dorsal hump. I was very disappointed to see that after the operation the tip of my nose became larger and more bulbous than before the operation. I would therefore like to have another operation to refine the tip, however I'm truly a bit scared of having yet another operation. Is there a risk of my nose becoming even more bulbous after another operation? Does it take long for the swelling to go down?

Bulbous tip after rhinoplasty

+3

In many situations the cause of the bulbous tip is loss of structural support of the tip as well as pre-existing thick skin - both of these can be addressed with a revision rhinoplasty

Bulbous, Full, Nasal Tip after Rhinoplasty

+1

After one year, your nose is healed to it's final shape.  From your picture, it seems like nothing was done to your nasal tip.  A tip rhinoplasty, using an open approach, is my recommendation.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Bulbous Nose Revision

+1

Your post-operative swelling is gone by now and you are seeing the result of changes and healing from your previous surgery.  A secondary tip rhinoplasty should be able to correct your concerns.  An open approach will allow precise changes that are quite predictable when done by an experienced surgeon.  You should not worry about an additional procedure, but do discuss your concerns with your doctor.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Worsened tip bulbosity after rhinoplasty

+1

After four years you shouldn't have tissue swelling leading to any fullness of your tip. A few reasons your tip may look worse after surgery:

• Inadequate skin redraping due to trapped blood below skin which lead to scar tissue
  • loss of tip support/projection which can lead to an ill-defined nasal tip

Revision rhinoplasty can address these issues. An examination would allow for a better assessment of what needs to be done.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Well-performed Revision Rhinoplasty Surgery may lead to a less bulbous appearance of the tip of your nose.

+1

I read your concern and reviewed your photos. It's not clear to me why your tip became wider after your Rhinoplasty Surgery. Well-performed Revision Rhinoplasty Surgery may lead to a more refined, narrower appearance of your tip.

You should consult several experienced, reputable, certified Rhinoplasty Specialists to see what could be achieved with surgery.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon