Bulbous and asymmetrical nose? (photo)

I am 20 years old and since I can remember, I have always hated my nose. It is bulbous, I have a bump and the tip is asymmetrical (not sure how I can explain, but one side of the nose is further "up" on my face than the other). Also, when I smile, it gets really wide. I wish to fix that, remove the bump and make the nose smaller. I have heard of alar base excision; would this be possible in my case? In addition, how big of a difference would it be realistic to expect?

Rhinoplasty for bulbous tip and asymmetrical nose

+1

The Bulbous tip is best addressed with cartilage suturing techniques of the lower lateral cartilages and and sometimes cartilage removal depending upon how wide they are. Asymmetries in the nose are also dealt with with a combination of cartilage grafting or cartilage removal on the high side. All of these maneuvers can be completed including the hump removal, through closed rhinoplasty techniques as an outpatient surgical procedure. For many examples please see the link to our rhinoplasty photo gallery below

You Are A Good Candidate for Rhinoplasty.

+1
Dear AA:The photos you sent were very helpful.Yes, the tip is a bit broad and disproportionate to the upper part of your nose, but it appears that that could be improved significantly.The asymmetry you have does not bode against doing the procedure.You have a small bump, and that can be managed quite handily.It seems that when you smile, your nose depresses, and that also can be managed.Obviously, there is no substitute for a thorough examination by an experienced nasal cosmetic surgeon, but I would encourage you to consult after studying websites, reading books and learning as much as you can about the process.If you want to understand whether the result that you would like to have can be obtained, I would suggest that you have computer imaging at the time of consultation.The experienced surgeon should be able to demonstrate to you a reasonable depiction of the outcome.If you are comfortable with the appearance, that gives you more confidence to proceed.However, be sure that the surgeon with whom you consulted show you many before and after photos including the "three views."The three views are the before, the computer prediction, and the actual after.

Robert Kotler, MD

Bulbous tip

+1

Hi A.A. I have reviewed your pictures. All of your concerns can be nicely addressed with a rhinoplasty and I think the results would be noticeable and natural I would perform an open approach because this allows both reduction and reshaping of the tip cartilages. The small bump on the bridge could be lowered and the width of the nasal bones and nostrils can also be narrowed. By narrowing the nostrils the flare with smiling will be less however not gone. On the front view there is a little asymmetry to the alar edge which is probably due to asymmetry in the tip cartilages which is also more accurately corrected with an open approach. Hope this helps.

William H. Sabbagh, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Bulbous and Asymmetrical Nose

+1

All of the unwanted characteristics of your nose can be changed with rhinoplasty surgery. It is difficult to determine with these pictures but decreasing the flare of your alar base may be helpful.

Bulbous and asymmetrical nose?

+1

Yes you are a candidate for rhinoplasty, tip reduction, alar wedge resection. But best to seek IN PERSON opinions from boarded docs in your city...

Bulbous and asymmetrical nose?

+1

All of the areas that you described and would like improved can be addressed with a rhinoplasty.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on a limited two dimensional photo without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not
be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the AmericanSociety for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Bulbous and asymmetrical nose?

+1

All of these concerns can be addressed and improved with rhinoplasty.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.