I'm 23 yrs old, 5'6, and 230 lbs. Large Volume Lipo? (photo)

At a consultation with a local plastic surgeon, I was informed of something called Large Volume Lipo. To be honest, I am not all that unhappy with my 5"6 230 lb weight, I just don't like my muffin and "fat apron". Im 23,1 child,and 2 years later, the weight loss has stalled. I know lipo is a contouring procedure, and I'm not using it to lose weight, just rid myself of a saggy tummy. In your opinion, is the surgeon suggesting a valid procedure for someond my size? Would be successful?

Larger Volume Liposuction vs. Dieting

+2

Definitely, maximize your efforts of weight loss prior to liposuction.  Your BMI (Body Mass Index) is too high.  There are certain risks with liposuction, specifically clots in the leg (Deep Vein Thrombosis) that can be potentially fatal.  Risks such as these and others increase with a higher BMI.  Additionally, since you have had a child, if the skin does not shrink appropriately after  liposuction, then you will need additional procedures to deal with the skin i.e. Tummy Tuck.  Be patient, keep working at it, you are young.  Good luck

Large Volume Lipo?

+1

First, is whether the procedure is safe for you and second, whether it is appropriate and likely to achieve the results you want.  Large volume lipo is generally considered to be over 5000 cc of fat (though that should probably not be an absolute but should take into account differences in body habitus preoperatively).  You may achieve a noticeable reduction in contour with this procedure.  There is a limit to what can be done and you would need to receive a medical clearance and then undergo one or more procedures to remove enough fat.  For weight loss in general, lipo is not the appropriate treatment (diet and exercise should be used primarily).  However, you may then have some hanging skin and you might, after one or more lipo procedures, need a procedure that removes excess skin, such as a panniculectomy or even a tummy tuck. 

For all of these issues you should be seen in person by a board-certified plastic surgeon.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Large volume Liposuction

+1

When considering liposuction, schedule an exam /consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  This can be a dangerous procedure for patients that are not close to their ideal body weight.  I am not a big fan of large volume liposuction.  It would be to your benefit to lose some of the weight prior to the surgery.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

+1

Large volume liposuction can help your issues. Discuss this with your surgeon. Cosnult a board certified plastic surgeon who is used to this procedure. You may need a few weeks to recover. Thomas Narsete, M.D.

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Many patients are pleased with large volume liposuction even though contour irregularities persist.

+1

Large volume liposuction refers to removal of fat above a given volume, usually several thousand cc. Patients who harbor this much fat usually have significant contour problems after liposuction. Nevertheless, many of them are very happy with the results.

Large Volume Lipo?

+1

Your question is a good one and congratulations on the weight you have lost. But remember you are asking for a cosmetic surgical procedure on an otherwise healthy person. When we do surgery we want to deliver a quality result with minimum risk. That is not where you are yet. First of all. large volume liposuction at best can remove 5000cc of fat. That equates to only 11 pounds. And the more you suck out the higher the risk to the point of possible life threatening issues. That is why no board certified plastic surgeon will go much beyond 5000cc. I my practice we limit the amount removed to 3000 cc. Once again, this is surgery to make you look and feel good with minimal risk. Secondly, most surgeons will limit cosmetic procedures to patients under a BMI of 35. Risks go up considerably above that. At 5'6" that equates to a weight of about 210, and even then the best results in abdominoplasty come with a BMI less than 30. So were you my patient, we would follow you along until you get to the weight where we can get the best result with the least risk. That is definitely not large volume liposuction. It would involve a full and circumferential abdominoplasty and lower body lift and you would love the results. The liposuction mentioned will, at high risk, leave you with looser and saggier skin. That is my opinion and recommendation to the many patients I see each year with your anatomy.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Good Candidate for Lipo??

+1

Hello Red, thank you for your inquire and photos.   My recommendation will be: 1) Extended Full Tummy Tuck and 2)  Lipo (flanks, back and upper hips areas)  to enhance your body contour,  IF you feel comfortable with your actual weight and like you said, " just rid myself of a saggy tummy  " where I think Liposuction only will not give you a good result.   .  But if eventually you decide to loss weight first,    The ideal procedure, on the other hand, to really have a life-lasting result is,  having a bariatric procedure (gastric sleeve p.e.).   Best.  Dr. Vega

Ricardo Vega, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Lipo and tummy tuck would improve your appearance.

+1

Dear Red - as others have suggested, lipo and tummy tuck would improve your appearance, but if your overall size and weight are your main concern, why not look into bariatric surgery first?  Then the body re - contouring would be, in my opinion more worthwhile.

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

Large volume liposuction

+1

Hi

I think what you are looking for can be achieved with a combination of a tummy tuck and some liposuction. Liposuction ('large volume' or otherwise) will not get rid of any excess skin. At the age of 23 some of your skin will shrink after a liposuction, but it is unlikely to get a perfect result.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Large Volume Liposuction

+1

In 2001 I reported 631 cases of large volume liposuction in the American Journal of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery  (see literature or call my office for article.  )    You are not a good candidate for large volume liposuction,  but you are a great candidate for a panniculectomy-abdominoplasty-tummy tuck and at the same time some liposuction can be considered.    My Best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon