Would a Buccal Lipectomy Be a Good Idea for Me? (photo)

I have big cheeks and I am wondering if it would look better with my face shape if I had the fat pad reduced, right beneath the cheek bone.

I would not suggest Buccal Fat Removal for you

+2

Having a full face and round cheeks is a sign of youth. Simply do a bit of research to see what concerns women in their 30's and 40's are looking to correct...Volume Loss is at the top of the list. You will find that over the next 5-15 years your cheeks and lower face will thin and you will have the desired (more chiseled) look you are wanting. If you choose buccal fat removal in your early 20's, you may be happy with the result for the next few years- BUT you will be faced with a more aged and thin look in your face in your early to mid thirties. I have a patient in my practice that is facing this exact issue. At 35 she is attractive, youthful and vibrant...but her face looks a bit tired and "deflated". She had her buccal fat removed by another surgeon when she was 22 and now, at 35, she is seeking to volumize her face with fillers such as sculptra and radiesse which will cost her approximately $3,000-$5,000 every 5 years. Although this may not be the answer that you are looking for- you may find that a visit to a professional make up artist to learn the trick to contouring facial features with blush and bronzers will get you through the next few years. I hope this answer helps you make a more informed decision.  Best of luck,

Dr. Clevens

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is Buccal Lipectomy a Good Idea?

+1

Hello SoCal GIrl,

Your photograph shows a nicely oval face with good definition and lines.

Buccal fat pad excision (removal) is a delicate procedure, if performed by an extensively experienced surgeon will provide the candidate with commendable results.

Unless the patient has chubby cheeks that most likely will not atrophy with age, this procedure is conservatively recommended.

To be able to provide you with a solid answer, I encourage you to seek a consultation with the right surgeon; it is the best way to go about your case.

Facial contouring with emphasis on the malar (cheek) area will greatly enhance your facial beauty without tempering with the natural looks you already have.

Thank you for posting your photograph.

Best wishes to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Buccal fat pad removal

+1

Thanks for the question.  Buccal fat removal is a procedure which can be done to enhance cheek definition  It should only be done on patients that have significant fullness in the cheeks.  If it is done on the wrong patient it can cause a hollow appearance.  In a patient with chubby cheeks it can nicely enhance facial definition along the cheeks.  Results can be simulated roughly by gently sucking in your cheeks.   I commonly perform this procedure in Toronto Canada.  It is most commonly sought out by  Asian Patients and non Asian patients who have significant fullness in their cheeks.

Philip Solomon, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon