Is it Possible a Doctor Could Have Made a Mistake on Buccal Fat Removal by Removing the Malar Fat Instead?

Hi! I had "buccal" fat removal one month ago (the surgeon removed 1/3 of the fat). But I m not sure that he took really the buccal fat away. Because it seems to be too high where he operated to be the buccal fat & I think that it's rather the malar fat (he made the incision under the upper lip and not near the molar teeth as the usual practice) Is it possible that the doctor made a mistake? Please answer to my question. Ps: sorry for my bad english :S

Buccal Fat VS Malar Fat Removal?

+2

The Buccal Fat Pad (of Bichat) can be readily removed through a mouth (upper buccal sulcus) incision without risking facial nerve damage. The Malar fat pad is on top of the facial muscles and it would take complete disregard for facial anatomy to mistake the too. By the way, NEITHER one of them should be removed. Doing so results in an aged, deflated / sick facial appearance. 

Was it buccal or malar fat removal?

+1

Dear Emswiss,

The buccal branch of the facial nerve and the parotid ducts are protected during the buccal fat pad removal. To do so, specific incisions are made and careful execution of the surgery is followed.

It is highly unlikely that a qualified surgeon cannot tell the difference between the malar and the buccal fat pads.

Moreover, one month period post-op is not enough to obtain final results.

Therefore, I encourage you to talk to your surgeon and share your concerns with him as well as seeking a consultation with another qualified surgeon if this could make you feel better and more informed.

Unfortunately, without physical examination it is hard to tell how the procedure was performed.

Best of Luck.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS