Does Having Buccal Fat Removal Make You Seem Like You've Had Plastic Surgery?

I know most doctors are against it but I've had 3 doctors tell me yes cause I guess they see the chubbiness in my cheeks that I have. I am being told that it will help angle my face a bit more. Instead of having my face be so round. Anyway I wanted to know if it would make me look fake or as if I've had plastic surgery? What are the negative effects? Will I be swollen? Will my face expressions not be the same? Is it a complicated difficult surgery.

Buccal fat pad excision

+1

Removing the buccal fat pad can be helpful in some individuals who have "chipmunk" cheeks or herniated buccal fat.  In thin patients removing the buccal fat can make them look aged.

Buccal fat removal not a good idea.

+1

I don't see patients who have had this surgery as noticeably different. If too much fat is removed you can look gaunt. You will need this fat when you get older and it is not easy to give the same look.

Buccal fat pad excision

+1

Buccal fat pad excision is a way to help reduce chubby cheeks in the appropriate patients.  If you are not an appropriate patient, then you may look abnormal after surgery - just as with any surgery if done in the wrong patient.  If you post pictures, we may be able to give you more advice.

David Shafer, MD

Would Removal of My Buccal (Cheek) Fat Pad Make me Look Artificial?

+1

Regarding: "Does Having Buccal Fat Removal Make You Seem Like You've Had Plastic Surgery?
I know most doctors are against it but I've had 3 doctors tell me yes cause I guess they see the chubbiness in my cheeks that I have. I am being told that it will help angle my face a bit more. Instead of having my face be so round. Anyway I wanted to know if it would make me look fake or as if I've had plastic surgery? What are the negative effects? Will I be swollen? Will my face expressions not be the same? Is it a complicated difficult surgery
"

Removing The Buccal Fat Pad / Fat Pad of Bichat is an operation that should be done probably only in moon faced / round faced people because it always leads to a prematurely aged face in later years.  To specifically answer your questions:
Anyway I wanted to know if it would make me look fake or as if I've had plastic surgery? What are the negative effects? - If too much of the fat is taken out you will look permanently as if you are sucking in your cheeks and the cheek bones are going to be extremely highlighted.

Will I be swollen? - Not necessarily, depending on the surgical technique.

Will my face expressions not be the same? - If the facial nerves are not injured your ability to make facial expressions would not be affected. But since your cheeks would be changed there may be a difference in your expressions.

Is it a complicated difficult surgery? - If a surgeon knows the anatomy and takes care not to injure the salivary duct and facial nerve it should not be.