Is Buccal Fat Removal or Mandible Reduction Right For Me? (photo)

I am getting b-fat removal and rhinoplasty in Taiwan. Have seeked few clinics-some say I only need b-fat removal and some say I need mandible reduction. I am afraid of the pain for mandible reduction and may affect my competitive sports lifestyle. When I smile, I have two pieces of 'fat' sticking out making my face wide. Do i really need mandible reduction or is b-fat removal enough? Will it make my face look unproportionate if I just have bruccal fat removal +rhinoplasty??? I am very anxious!!!

Mandible reduction vs Buccal Fat Pad Reduction for a wide-based face

+2

Hi Sleepie_angel,

Thank you for uploading your photographs.

Buccal fat removal and Mandible reduction are permanent procedures. Yes they could be reversed but with high risks. Therefore, it is best to have a conservative approach first. This is where consulting an extensively experienced surgeon comes handy.

Buccal fat pads will undergo atrophy as age progresses; which makes the buccal fat removal delicate and precise.

As for the Mandible reduction, it could be approached non-surgically (Botox) if you are looking for the least invasive procedure.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Buccal Fat or Jaw Reduction for wide face

+1

Patients are often confused about appropriate options for facial enhancement. Buccal fat reduction is permanent removal of excess fat from the cheek or middle face area. Jaw reduction often requires reducing jaw muscle and/or bone. Each cosmetic procedure deals with different areas of the face.

Botox or similar neuromodulators have been used to gradually reduce jaw or mandible size without surgery. Treatment is performed in the office. Nonsurgical approach may be a first step, then consider surgery afterward. Generally, plastic surgeons will prefer to more conservative approach first. 

Without a comprehensive evaluation, it's difficult to determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Buccal fat vs mandible reduction

+1

A lot of your buccal fat will resolve with aging. If you do remove it, leave enough behind so it doesn't get hollowed out. For the jawline, you might want to try Botox first. You seem to have mainly a muscle component to your width - a profile picture with the hair pulled back would give a better view for analysis.

Charles S. Lee, MD, FACS