Doctor Recommendation for Buccal Fat Removal with Local Anesthesia in Los Angeles

I recently had a consultation with a plastic surgeon about a Buccal Fat removal. The thing that I liked the most about the procedure he described was that it could be done under local anaesthesia, allowing me to drive home after the procedure.

However, I later found out that this doctor is not board certified in plastic or cosmetic surgery. I am wondering if there are any doctors in the Los Angeles area who are board certified that can perform a buccal fat excision under local anaesthesia.

Buccal Fat Pad Removal and Board Certified Surgeons

Dear JeffKent,

The Buccal fat removal can be performed under local anesthetic. However, the delicate nature of the procedure stretches beyond the type of anesthesia to reach the amount of experience the surgeon has.

I encourage you to seek consultations with extensively experienced, board certified surgeons who will guide you to make a well informed decision.

You could visit the following website for a list of board certified surgeons in the area of your choice (

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Dr. Sajjadian

Buccal fat pad reduction under local anesthesia

Thanks for your question. I find buccal fat pad reduction to be a great procedure in the properly selected patient. Fullness in the lower cheeks or "chipmunk cheeks" can be treated this way to give a more defined lower face. Liposuction or skin tightening technologies will not be the right choice when buccal fullness is apparent. The buccal fat pad sits deeper in the lower cheek area under muscle. This is different from skin fat that can be liposuctioned or laser lipo'd. Proper diagnosis is important to understand how to treat. Also, this fat pad may get smaller when we are elderly possibly giving a hollow look in this area. Performed properly in the right patient buccal fat reduction is easily performed and gives a slimmer lower face that is difficult to achieve otherwise.

I have many happy patients with this procedure. Careful selection and counseling are key. Results evolve nicely over a period of weeks to months. This is a safe procedure and can be performed under local anesthesia. Recovery is minimal. Please talk to a board certified surgeon experienced in buccal fat reduction to see if you are a candidate

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Buccal Fat Pad Removal Under Local

Buccal Fat Pad removal can be done under local and is a pretty straight forward procedure.  As long as you are sure that is what you want and need.  If you like you can give my office a call.  I am located in Beverly Hills and can help you out.  I can also recommend other surgeons in your area if you prefer.

Leif L. Rogers, MD, FACS

Buccal Fat Pad Removal - Beverly Hills

Hello and thank you for the question.

Buccal Fat Pad Removal can be performed under a local anesthetic, IV Sedation, or a general anesthetic. If you are considering having the procedure done under local, I recommend going to the American Society of Plastic Surgery website ( to find a qualified surgeon in your area.

Kindest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD