Buccal Fat Removal or Jowl Liposuction? AIso, Should I Consider Chin Implant? (photo)

Dear Doctors, I am considering buccal fat removal/jowl lipo and potentially, also a chin implant. I am 27 and have always had a chubby face and big cheeks. Both my aunt and mum have very round faces too, with hardly any jowl definition and flabby cheeks. I had a neck lipo a few years ago and love the results - however, my face still looks chubby. So, a buccal fat removal or jowl lipo? And would/could a chin implant be necessary to elongate my face and help it appear more balanced? Thanks!

Facial balance with Buccal Fat Pad Removal and Jowl Liposuction

+2

Hello Hwalk,

Thank you for sharing your photographs.

Despite the over-sized black blocks over the photographs, it is possible to note that you may be a good candidate for jowl as well as premental (neck) liposuctions.

In general, facial contouring should be your main goal by preserving your natural facial features and enhancing your beauty.

Buccal fat pad removal is a delicate procedure and should only be considered in select candidates with "chipmunk" cheeks that are not prone to atrophy as age progresses.

I encourage you to seek a consultation with an extensively experienced surgeon to better guide you through the process of making your decision.

Best of Luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Lipo or buccal fat pad reduction

+1

Buccal fat pad reduction is a procedure that is not commonly performed but can make sense in the right patient.  It is important to understand the anatomy before undergoing the surgery so that you are well informed.  Normal aging reduces the buccal fat pad volume.  It is true that some people have more volume in their cheeks than others.  However, it is also universally true that that volume will decrease and descend over time.  Removing too much buccal fat can cause premature aging.  It is also important to remember that replacing fat that has been removed is extraordinarily difficult if not impossible.  The main reason is the location of the buccal fat pad.  It usually resides underneath a large muscle that is responsible for majority of the power motions of your chewing.  Once that fat is removed that space collapses.  Once collapsed it is very difficult to find the exact space and to reinsert a substance such as a filler or better yet fat.  One potential solution is to use something like Sculptra.  While I generally do not advocate buccal fat pad removal, I understand why somewhat would want procedures such as this.  I tried to choose my patients very carefully and I also tried to be conservative in the amount of fat that is removed.  Surgeons who trivialized this procedure simply don’t understand how difficult it is to correct deformities that may occur.  The cost of the procedure can run anywhere from $3000-$7000, depending upon your geographic locale.  Please visit with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  My best advice is to always be conservative with any buccal fat pad reduction.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Smart Lipo candidiate

+1

You are a good candidate for laser liposuction (SmartLipo) of the neck, prejowl as well as contouring your cheeks.  Buccal fat pat excision alone will not give you an appreciable difference.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Chubby face and big cheeks are a blessing for some

+1

I would suggest you be careful and not try to do too much here.  Your full face gives you a youthful look, something you are going to want back in 20 years.  Buccal fat removal will not do much for you.  Be very careful with liposuction on your face.  Maybe a small chin would help minimally.  I would consider repeating the neck lipo again, I think they were probably pretty conservative the first go around.

Ryan N. Heffelfinger, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Buccal fat or jowl liposuction and possible chin implant am I a candidate?

+1
Since you are twenty seven you must keep into consideration that your face looses it's fullness as you get older, childbirth, weight gains and losses, and if you remove the buccal fat pad area you may have some unwanted hollowness in that area later down the road. Personally I think some liposuction and a small chin augmentation with a slight augmentation of the lips will put your profile in harmony. It is a bit difficult to see the overall picture with the blocking on the photograph. The chin implant will not be placed to actually elongate the face but will give more pronunciation to the chin and the profile will be in better balance. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD