Can the Buccal Fat Pad Be Removed and Used for Facial Fat Grafting to the Cheeks and Undereye Region?

This may be a silly question, but I was wondering what type of fat has to be used for fat grafting to the undereye area and malar region of the cheeks? I know that fat is typically taken from the abdomen or thighs. However, in my case, I have chipmunk cheeks (hereditary) and was wondering if I could have the buccal fat pad removed and used to augment the upper part of my face. Your responses are greatly appreciated.

Buccal fat for grafting

+1

Buccal fat is inadequate in volume as well as substance ( it is too watry). Fat from other areas are significantly better in all apects

Autologous fat injections enhances facial features

+1

Dear Blueiris,

In general, autologous fat injection/grafting is successful if performed carefully and evenly distributed for a better survival rate of the adipocytes (fat cells).

The fat harvested from the buccal fat pad surgery qualifies for facial fat graft but you have to keep in mind that the buccal fat pad removal should be done conservatively and you may need more than what could be harvested to enhance your facial features by autologous fat injections.

Therefore, I recommend that you seek a good consultation with an extensively experienced surgeon who could physically examine how much buccal fat removal you need and if what is harvested is enough to perform the supplemental surgeries.

Dr. Sajjadian.

Web reference: http://www.DrSajjadian.com

Buccal fat pad and fat grafting

+1

In order for fat grafting to be successful--to last-- it must be placed in tiny droplets so that each small droplet of fat can have its own blood supply contact.  The buccal fat pad usually comes out in a large globule.  I suppose it could be cut down to small pieces but this would be very time consuming and it may still not offer a good fat survival rate.

Dr Remus Repta,