Buccal Fat Pad Removal or Facial Liposuction? (photo)

I'm a 22 year old man who is in good shape, (work out regularly) and play a sport that requires me to be at a certain body weight of just over 200 pounds. Unfortunately, I have one of those faces that has hardly and facial definition on my lower cheeks. I'm not worried about looking gaunt in my mid forties, as genetically I have inherited my fathers genes when it comes to aging in the face (He is currently in he's mid 60's and is only now slimming in the face) What procedure would be best for me?

Should not liposuction the buccal fat pad

+2

Buccal fat pad reduction is a procedure that is not commonly performed but can make sense in the right patient.  It is important to understand the anatomy before undergoing the surgery so that you are well informed.  Normal aging reduces the buccal fat pad volume.  It is true that some people have more volume in their cheeks than others.  However, it is also universally true that that volume will decrease and descend over time.  Removing too much buccal fat can cause premature aging.  It is also important to remember that replacing fat that has been removed is extraordinarily difficult if not impossible.  The main reason is the location of the buccal fat pad.  It usually resides underneath a large muscle that is responsible for majority of the power motions of your chewing.  Once that fat is removed that space collapses.  Once collapsed it is very difficult to find the exact space and to reinsert a substance such as a filler or better yet fat.  One potential solution is to use something like Sculptra.  While I generally do not advocate buccal fat pad removal, I understand why somewhat would want procedures such as this.  I tried to choose my patients very carefully and I also tried to be conservative in the amount of fat that is removed.  Surgeons who trivialized this procedure simply don’t understand how difficult it is to correct deformities that may occur.  The cost of the procedure can run anywhere from $3000-$7000, depending upon your geographic locale.  Please visit with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  My best advice is to always be conservative with any buccal fat pad reduction.

Buccal Fat Removal and Facial Sculpting

+1

Hello Fda10,

Thank you for sharing your photographs, however it is hard to tell without a physical examination if you are a better candidate for Buccal Fat Pad Removal or other alternative procedures.

It is important to be aware that even though genetics play a good role in the atrophy of the buccal fat pad as age progresses, conservative approach is to be adopted if the buccal fat removal is the chosen procedure.

Therefore, I encourage you to seek a consultation with an extensively experienced surgeon.

Best of luck.

Dr. Sajjadian

Web reference: http://www.DrSajjadian.com

Procedures that define face

+1

In general there are a few procedures that can help define the lower face.

They include:

• facial implants (chin +/- cheek)
  • buccal fat removal
  • neck liposuction

Web reference: http://www.realself.com/photo/517743?offset=3&topic_id=238123