I Have a Bubbly Scar at the Lower Corner of my Eye Just Below the Crows Feet. Why and What Can Be Done About It?

After eyelid surgery done June 18 ( approx. 5 weeks ago) I have a bubbly scar at the corner of one eye just below the crows feet. This is not even a place where there should have been an incision. I don't know why or what can be done. Even the bone under the area is sore.

Contact physician..

+1

Since the eyelid surgery was done approximately 5 weeks ago and you have an area that could be inflamed or infected, it’s best that you contact your physician and bring it to their attention.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Bubbly Scar

+1

Photos, possible cyst?, incision location, only five weeks, residual soreness.......lots of possibilities here!  Have you patiently followed-up closely with your surgeon, week by week?

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

It is hard to know exactly how to advise you without photos and without knowing exactly what was done during surgery. However, you have alot of healing to do if you're five weeks out from surgery. The scar tissue will likely settle and any pink discoloration significantly improve with time. If this issue persists, there are many ways to improve scars but it's way too early to be concerned with that. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cyst after surgery?

+1

You might be describing a cyst, which may or may not be related to the surgery. See your surgeon.  You can also see an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

What Can Be Done About a Scar 5 Weeks After a Blepharoplasty

+1

It's hard to tell without photos, but 5 weeks after surgery is too early to worry about scarring. The scar is going to change a lot as it matures over the next several months. Your surgeon would certainly be able to tell you if it is anything to be concerned about and should be able to put your mind at ease. Good luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar by eye after blepharoplasty

+1

The scar you mention in your description sounds a bit unusual, and certainly at least a photo could be helpful in offering suggestions. I suggest you see your surgeon.

No photos

+1

Unfortunately, without photos, it is hard give you a good answer. In addition, you haven't mentioned what type of eyelid surgery was done? Was this upper or lower eyelid? Blpharoplasty, ptosis repair, or other type?

But in general, as others have advised, you need to wait at least 3 months [and ideally up to 6 months] to get a good idea about end result of surgery.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Scar after eyelid surgery

+1

It's difficult to advise without pictures or knowing what exactly was done. Small irregularities, limps and bumps, are normal after eyelid surgery and will settle down over the next few weeks, if not, your surgeon should be able to address the issue easily. 

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

It's too early to tell

+1

At this point 5 weeks after surgery, the body is still reconfiguring the scar tissue.  This often causes the scar to grow thicker and feel "ropey" for a period that can last 2-3 months.  While this almost always resolves on its own, occasionally inappropriate healing can lead to hypertrophic scars (thick, red, raised scars) or keloids (scars that grow beyond the boundaries of the initial incisions).  Your plastic surgeon can help guide you through this process after evaluating you.  

Maxwell Furr, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Deb-you still have a ways to heal.

+1

Small irregularities in the eyelid scar are pretty normal.  I recommend that you let this heal further before having your surgeon do a small revision procedure to correct this.  The reason for waiting is that time (up to 4-6 months) has a way of resolving issues like this.  If it does not resolve it is often a simple procedure to correct the issue.