I Have a Bubble on the Top of Each Saline Implant. What Is This?

I have a bubble on the top of each of my saline implants, i can press my finger in each one and fill like a hole there...you can see this by just looking at each breast. Each one sticks out. It is like the implant was not fully filled up and the air is settling on the top of each Breast implant. I had implants for 20 years, I under stand rippling, but this is like a defect or something.

+1

From your description I believe it is best to immediately be seen by a boarded PS in your area. 20 year old implant that have the stated issue are soon to possible rupture. 

Causes of puckers with saline implants

+1

Over time it is typical for tissues to thin out around implants so that you can feel them more. This thinning also leads to less supoort of the implants, so they can sag a bit and you may see this as puckers or bubbles, and/or they would move laterally when you lie down. Without seeing you personally no one can make a recommendation about options to correct it, but it is probably not harmful.

Richard Baxter, MD

20 Year Old Saline Implants

+1

Saline Implants often have an air pocket that can be felt in the first few weeks of surgery.  It is quickly absorbed by the body.  If you are feeling an abnormal area twenty years later on both sides, it is more likely to be the valve .  It is possible that you never noticed it before or had more breast tissue over it before.  This does not mean there is anything wrong with your implants.  Revision of your implants would only beindicated at this point if you wanted cosmetic improvement.  I hope this helps.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Bubbles

+1

Without examining you, it's difficult to determine, however, it sounds like you may have a deflation-so it may be best to see a PS and have him/she examine whther that is truly the case.

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Bubble on Breast Implant

+1

It is hard to know exactly what is going on without examining you. However, considering that you have had breast implants for 20 years it is not unlikely that you have had some deflation and are feeling the relatively empty implant. Your are probably due for an examination by a well experienced board certified plastic surgeon.

"Bubbles" on top of saline implants

+1

The "bubbles" on the top of each of your saline implants have two possible causes:

1. Implant shell folding

If you are standing up or sitting upright and notice bubbles along the upper part of the implants, these are related to folds in the implant shells.  To understand this, imagine filling a Glad bag with water all the way to the top.  When you put it down on your kitchen counter, the top center of the bag will have a crease or indentation.  Unfortunately, this is simply the physics of water in a bag (and saline implants act in much the same way).  If this is a major concern, the implants may be overfilled to reduce rippling OR you may consider switching to silicone gel, which ripples less than saline (imagine oil in a bag).

2. Implant filling valves

If you are lying on your back and notice bubbles beneath the nipples, these are probably the filling valves that are used for filling and sealing your implants.  If you can feel these, your overlying breast tissues are probably relatively thin.  Either leave these alone, consider having your implants "flipped" over (so that the valves face away from the skin), or switch to silicone gel implants (which have no filling valves).

Ronald Friedman, MD