Bruising One Week After Breast Implant Surgery

I got my implant on 11/09/2010, under the armpit, saline 375cc. I started out with an A cup. I followed all of surgeon instruction. There was no bruising the first four to five days; however, it been starting to bruised really badly the last couple of days, under the left breast, about 1.5 inches long and 1 inch wide. On my right side, not under the breast but the side it's about 4 inches. The bruises are very dark, a bit black and blue. Is this normal and will it go away?

Improving Healing Following Breast Augmentation Through Armpit

+3

One of the reasons you may not delayed bruising is that you had your implants placed through the axillae or armpits.  Because of the type of dissection that was likely required from such a distance away from your breast borders, there is more surface area and pockets that can have hidden bruising that appears at a later date.  You will likely eventually heal without any problems, other than the annoyance and worry of having bruising.

I have noted that with under the breast crease, and in most circumstances, nipple areolar incision approaches, bruising and trauma can be lessened using the flash recovery breast augmentation or rapid/quick recovery techniques.  Less trauma means quicker recovery and less surprizes such as pain and delayed healing like this.

You should make sure you see your surgeon so he can make sure you do not have a "hematoma" or blood collection and that it is only a bruise, which is simply a staining of your skin with tiny amounts of leaked blood (like when you hit your elbow.)

Hope this was helpful. Good luck and for more information on quicker healing , see the link below.

Bruising 1 Week after Augmentation May or May Not Be Normal

+2

The bruising that you describe is probably from some deep bruising that occurred early after surgery and is only now becoming apparent after migrating inferiorly and closer to skin because of gravity.  I agree, however, that there is a chance that it could represent a hematoma and that you should make your surgeon aware of it right away.

John Whitt, MD

Bruising after breast augmentation

+1

It is fairly common to see some bruising after a breast augmentation even after a few days. However, if the breast is enlarging or is much larger than the opposite breast or is very painful as compared to the opposite side, then you worry about a hematoma.

New bruising one week after surgery? Please call your surgeon!

+1

New bruising that appears a week after surgery may be a sign of a hematoma (a collection of blood).  Or it could just be "normal" bruising.  Please see your surgeon for an evaluation and possible treatment.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Bruising 1 weeks after breast augmentation

+1

IT is difficult to say if this is blood which has traveled due to surgery or whether it occured signficantly after surgery. In either event you should discuss it with and be examined by your surgeon.