Is Bruising and Swelling from Chin Implant Surgery Minor?

What can I expect in terms of bruising and swelling after undergoing chin implant surgery? If there are bruises, does the discoloration appear in other areas of the face? Does the swelling go down in a week? Could bruising last 2 weeks?

Chin implant bruising and swelling

+2

You may experience bruising after implant placement but it should reabsorb by about 2 weeks. There is a fair amount of swelling in the area and this takes several weeks to fully resolve, though you should be able to resume your regular activities sooner. Some of the variability depends on the approach used for placement and implant size.

Swelling and Bruising after Chin Augmentation

+1

There is usually minimal bruising after chin augmentation. Swelling is normal after any procedure including chin augmentation and resolves slowly over the next several weeks.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Swelling after chin implant procedure

+1
Typically there is little to no bruising following chin augmentation with an implant. There will be some swelling in the beginning and will dissipate within the first week to two. Typically my patients will resume most work activities with in a week. I do ask for my patients to properly schedule any large dental procedures they may have planned appropriately. I do use an external approach while doing chin implant surgery and I believe this lends itself to less complications of infection and promotes a quick recovery and downtime. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Chin implant results and post operative expectations

+1

I tell all my patients that they could experience a bruise after a chin augmentation. Swelling is variable but certainly should be expected. Dressings, compression, icing, etc can reduce the severity of both. I think it is possible that bruising could be present for up to 2 weeks, although this is unlikely in my experience. Most of the swelling and bruising will settle in the upper neck. Best of Luck, Dr. Todd Hobgood.

Todd Christopher Hobgood, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery from Chin Implant Surgery

+1

Swelling and bruising after chin implant surgery are common and persists for 10-14 days.  A few things to consider: size of the implant, the material and the approach (intra-oral vs external).  Generally, it is one of the easier surgeries to recover from.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

In most patients, downtime is less than 2 weeks after Chin Implant Surgery.

+1

In general, most of my patients may resume normal social activities 7-10 days following Chin Implant Surgery. A minor amount of bruising may be concealed, and your swelling should be minimal 1-2 weeks after your procedure.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant

+1

Generally there is not much if any bruising, but there is some swelling following chin implants.  The swelling typically goes down within the first couple of weeks.

Kimberly Lee, MD