I'm 47 yr old very active mother of 4. Is this much bruising normal 1 wk post Breast Lift & sub muscle saline implants? (photo)

I am a 47 year old very active mother of 4. I am one week out from having a breast lift and sub muscle saline implants.  I feel the most pain at my breast bone area and I worry that my surgeon might have taken too much skin out when doing the breast lift and/or filled my implants too big because I feel stretch marks on my new breasts.  Also when I look at other photos I don't see the amount of bruising that I have.  Is this normal? 

Bruising 1 week post breast augmentation and mastopexy

+1
Thank you for the photo.  It looks like you have appropriate bruising.  There is nothing from this photo that would drive me to have you go back urgently to the O.R.  Each patient is different, so looking at different breasts from around the internet may not apply to you.  Please check with your board certified plastic surgeon's office.  Tell them your concerns.  They may have guidelines as to after care, (what supplements to avoid, activity level, etc.).  Please follow the instructions, and follow up with your plastic surgeon.

1 week post op

+1
Thanks for your question. I am not seeing anything alarming in your photo. It is common to be swollen and bruised at 1 week post op. Most patients don't see final results from this surgery for 3-6 months. Relax and be patient but if worried, don't hesitate to touch base with your surgeon. Good luck to you

Sumanth Pagadala, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

This degree of bruising is absolutely normal after breast lift plus implants.

+1
You may have seen a few photos, but all of us here have seen thousands of breasts in various stages of healing, and yours is not unusual or out of the ordinary at all! Too high and tight right now = "just perfect"  as your breasts heal and your tissues soften and stretch.

Your breasts aren't "new," and in fact those stretch marks you feel are the old ones puffed up a bit by the surgical swelling. These too will settle (but won't go completely away, just as they didn't after each pregnancy and/ or breast-feeding) as your swelling reabsorbs and things mature as the healing continues over 5-12 months.

Be patient with yourself--you look Marvelous! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift with Implants

+1
Hi Gail,
First of all, I think you have an amazing result.  Half of my patients develop some bruising and half don't.  It is impossible to say on line, but you look normal to me.  So take it easy and don't run after those four kids so you continue to heal up just fine.  Keep your PS in the loop for the final clinical opinion.  All the best, "Dr. Joe"

Joe Gryskiewicz, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Bruising after sub-muscular augmentation and breast lift combine

+1
Based on your photographs your result looks excellent.  I agree with others that the bruising seems to be in the later stages and is not unusual for this type of surgery.

However it is very important that you see your plastic surgeon for follow-up so that you may be examined carefully to make certain there is no unusual accumulation of blood or fluid.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Bruising and swelling after a breast lift and augmentation

+1
Your degree of bruising looks to be relatively normal.  The shape looks good and there seems to be good symmetry.  The stretch marks may just be due to swelling and will get better over time. 

Bruising after augmentation/mastopexy

+1
Thank you for your question and photo.  From what I can see on your photo, you will have a nice result.  Your bruising appears to be fading as the blue color turns to yellow.  You are likely to feel the more pain and tightness toward the center of your chest because you have a submuscular augmentation.   If you have more concerns, make sure you call your plastic surgeon and have all of your questions answered.  Best wishes. 

Matthew H. Steele, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

+1
Your concerns are quite normal for one week after this surgery.  They are quite large is size and that does seem to create more tightness.  The picture shows that there appears to be nothing wrong.  Pain at the breast bone is from stretching of the skin.  It looks like you are going to have a great result.  Hang in there.  Talk to your doctor.  You will eventually feel like they are normal again.

Robert J. Spies, MD
Paradise Valley Plastic Surgeon

I'm 47 yr old very active mother of 4. Is this much bruising normal 1 wk post Breast Lift & sub muscle saline implants?

+1
Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation/lifting surgery. Based on the picture, it appears that your plastic surgeon has done a nice job for you. The bruising I see are in their  final stages, based on the coloration. In other words, I do not see anything on the photograph to be concerned about. Of course, for the most accurate assessment, advice, and/or reassurance best to run your questions/concerns by your plastic surgeon. Best wishes; hopefully you will be very pleased with the longer-term outcome of the procedure performed.