How Much Bruising is Normal - 4 Day Post Op? (photo)

I had an areola incision 4 days ago. I am not in much pain - in fact, i keep reminding myself to take it easy because I feel fine. The bruising started yesterday and my left breast (as seen in picture attached) looks very bruised relative to my right breast, which is not bad at all. The left breast has a larger implant and the doctor said was a much tighter fit. I see the doctor in 4 days, but am concerned that something might be wrong.

New bruising after surgery is concerning

+1

Please see your surgeon sooner, rather than later.  An in-person evaluation will help her determine if you just have bruising or if you have a hematoma.

How Much Bruising is Normal - 4 Day Post Op?

+1

When there is more "bruising" on one side than I ALWAYS recommend immediate visit IN PERSON with your surgeon. Gives all involved peace of mind. 

Is Bruising normal after augmentation?

+1

Dear Virginia,

thank you for your post.  Bruising in and of itself with no other symptoms is not concerning.  Bruising associated with a breast that is significantly larger than the other breast is concerning.  Keep an eye on it and keep your surgeon informed if there are changes in your breast.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Bruising is not unusual

+1

Bruising is not unusual after any breast surgery.  The only problem would if you developed internal bleeding or a hematoma.  You would know that it is a hematoma if the breast is larger and tighter than the other side.  

+1

The bruising itself may be a bit more than average, but is not particularly troublesome. If the breast becomes larger or more painful, a call to your surgeon will be appropriate. 

All the best. 

Bruising After #BreastAugmentation

+1

From your photo, your skin bruising looks to be more than average, but not worrisome on its own. The concern, however, would be if your breast is substantially larger than the other side which may be an indication that there is bleeding deeper in the tissues. If this is the case I would consider an evaluation sooner than later.

Continue to follow up with your surgeon to ensure that you progress as planned.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

You will be fine

+1

The incisional bruising is more than usual not enough to worry about. Please see your surgeon for follow up. You will be fine.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Bruising After Breast Augmentation

+1

From your picture it appears that you have bruising within normal limits. However, you should contact your surgeons office just to be sure you don't have a hematoma. 

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Bruising is highly variable after breast augmentation.

+1

Bruising by itself is of no great concern. A large amount of bruising might betray a deeper hematoma which requires drainage. I see no evidence of that on the photograph but this is something that should be brought to the attention of your surgeon.

Bruising 4 days postop

+1

You are correct.  As your photos show, you have bruising around your incision.  Please followup with your PS to make sure you do not have a hematoma or blood collection around your implant.  Some bruising after surgery is quite normal.  Best wishes.

Dr. Basu

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS