Is Bruising and Hard/lumpy Skin Normal at 5 Weeks Post Op?

I have bruising around the incision area and at the bottom of the breast at 5 weeks post op. I had a benelli lift and implants. The skin on top of the bruising is a bit hard and lumpy as well as tight, making it indent a bit. What could this be? Is it normal?

Lumps post lift

+1

This is normal.there always may be soem lumpos or pleating following this type of surgery but massage will hasten its going away but don't woory just be patient.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Persistent bruising and lumps after breast surgery.

+1

Persistent bruising ~5 weeks out from an augmentation with a lift is unusual. From your photos, you have some hyperpigmentation which can be common, but I don't appreciate any true "bruising." Lumps can be from many sources - sutures, fat necrosis, implant folds, etc. If you have increased pain, redness, or swelling, then this can indicate an infection. Close follow up with your surgeon and explaining your concerns are important.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Bruising and skin changes after breast surgery

+1

Some degree of bruising and changes to skin/soft tissue is normal after a breast lift and implant surgery. I would expect to see that at least starting to settle down by five weeks, but different patients heal at different rates.

The hardness/irregularity of skin is likely to be a small area of fat necrosis (a part of the fat in the breast losing its blood supply) which can take a good few months to disappear. If the area ever becomes painful and hot to touch, this could signify an infection and should be checked out by your surgeon immediately.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Concern about irregularities of periareolar incision for a mastopexy-augmentation

+1

Probably some of what you are feeling are the deep sutures that have been placed to facilitate the lift through the periareolar approach. The closure does appear very tight and some of the indentation probably reflects that. It also appears that the implants are quite large for your seemingly thin skin envelope which can present significant problems going forward.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

At 5 weeks this is not normal.

+1

you need to see your surgeon and be evaluated. is it red? you might need a antibiotic. good luck.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon