Bruising and Swelling Prevention and Fillers?

Hi Docs, should I stop taking Vitamin D 1000 mg before I have injectables into my face (Perlane, Restylane). I know not to take Vitamin E and Fish oil, how long before ?, 1 or 2 weeks ?. And when can I resume taking them ?

+1

Hi Bronzi, Bruising can occur no matter how skilled the injector is but you could stop taking Ibuprofen, Aspirin, Fish oil and green tea for two weeks before treatment to help eliminate the risk

Avoiding bruises after Botox injections. Bruisestick

+1

Avoid blood thinners such as Aspirin, Ibuprofen, and Vitamin E.  In addition, use a BruiseStick ointment immediately after the injections to minimize bruising. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Preventing bruising with fillers

+1

I advise avoiding aspirin, ibuprofen, vitamin E, fish oil, alcohol, ginseng, gingko biloba and green tea before procedures and for a few days afterwards. Vitamin D will play no role with bruising or swelling. I agree that Bromelain as found in fresh pineapples can be helpful, and Arnica may be of some benefit too. Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Bromelain and Bruising

+1

I recommend bromelain as it is a super anti inflammatory and also an enzyme that breaks down bruising. There is a great book published about Bromelain on Kindle Books and Nook Books - check it out.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Fillers and bruising

+1

I agree with the previous answers but also advise you to stop drinking green tea for at least one week before your filler treatment.   

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Fillers and bruising

+1

I agree with the others that say that you need to avoid the supplements that are associated with bruising /bleeding but no worries about Vitamin D. I also think that Arnica might help as well as icing before and after. I would add the possibility of fresh pineapple helping and have my patients eat one cup of fresh pineapple daily for five days prior to procedure.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Restylane and bruising

+1

It's ok to continue your Vitamin D prior to treatment with any dermal filler, and it sounds like you're informed of discontinuing blood thinning supplements. We recommend a full week off of any blood thinner, unless your PCP has prescribed it specifically for a health condition. Not taking those supplements help minimize the incident of bruising post-treatment, however, it's never a guarantee that you won't bruise, regardless.

Sam Naficy, MD

Prevention of bruising and swelling from fillers

+1

Many dietary supplements, medications, vitamins, and herbs are associated with excess bruising from filler injections. Those to avoid for at least 10 days prior to injection include non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) or naproxen (Aleve), aspirin, vitamin E, omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil), licorice, garlic, ginger, ginkgo, and other herbal supplements. I have not seen studies showing vitamin D has any effect on bruising. The degree of bruising from filler injections may also be affected by injection techniques such as fan like injections, higher injection volumes, and more rapid injection times.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Vitamin D is okay

+1

You can continue taking your vitamin D as usual. I advise patients to stop aspirin that is not medically necessary 10 days prior to the procedure. Herbals (ginko, ginseng, garlic), vitamin E, and fish oil should be stopped 1 week prior to the procedure. You should also avoid alcohol and certain pain medications (ibuprofen, aleve, naproxen) for 2 days.  While studies have not shown Arnica to prevent bruising, the product has a loyal following. Lastly, invest in a good coverup! DermaBlend and similar products are great for camouflage.

Ramona Behshad, MD
Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon

How can you prevent bruising and swelling from dermal fillers?

+1

Avoiding aspirin-containing products, Ibuprofen, fish oil, Vitamin E, ginseng, ginkgo, ginger and garlic supplements will reduce the risk. Further, starting an Arnica Montana supplement prior to and generously icing the area following the treatment can reduce the risk of bruising. Most importantly, an experienced injector can minimize the risk and avoid any serious filler-related complications. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon