Bruising and Swelling After Rhinoplasty?

12 days have passed since my rhinoplasty op, and I still have some black/green/yellow bruising and a little swelling under the eyes and on the sides of my chin. Is this normal? I never used any ice pack. And my nose has been larger (not longer though) since my doctor removed the splint. When the bruising and swelling will go away? And one more question, am I allowed to smoke cigarettes after two/three weeks? I am 18 year old boy.

+2

Please do not smoke.  Make sure you followup with your surgeon.  It is not unusual to have bruising early after rhinoplasty.  Swelling will take months to resolve.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Bruising and swelling after rhinoplasty - Bruisestick

+1

Our office recommends meticulous wound care and Bruisestick ointment to the area after surgery to reduce bruising and swelling. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Bruising and swelling is common 2 weeks after rhinoplasty

+1

Thank you for your question. Swelling and bruising is normal at 2 weeks and can take another week to 10 days to improve. Keeping your head elevated will help. Please do not smoke.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

+1

12 days after a rhinoplasty, bruising and swelling under the eyes are normal.  Usually, the splint keeps the nose in a skinnier state.  Once the splint is removed initially, the edema may be more evident, but then slowly the edema will resolve.  So the bruising and swelling at your state is normal.

S. Ozan Sozer, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Post op rhinoplasty

+1

Your bruising and swelling will continue to slowly resolve.  Depending upon the amount of work that was done it may take a few weeks for the bruising to go away.  When bruising does occur, it's not uncommon for it to travel into the area of  your chin.  it can take up to a year for the swelling to resolve but the majority of it will go away in the first 6-8 weeks.

Best. 

Anthony E. Brissett, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon