How Much Bruising is Acceptable After a Facelift?

How long will it take for the initial bruising to fade?

Depends on the type of facelift you had and your physiology

+1
The rate of bruising really depends on the extent of surgery and your recovery rate. Most bruising resolves in 10-14 days. Some light skin discolouration can last several weeks.  

Bruising after Facelift

+1

The answer is that this is technique dependent, surgeon dependent, and patient dependent.  I have some patients who have so little bruising that it is difficult to determine that they have had surgery the following day.  I have very few patients who have any bruising beyond 2 weeks.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Bruising after a lift

+1

This of course depends on the patient but the typical patient has minimal bruising by 2 weeks.  Many patients look great at 1 week and others may need 3 weeks.

Sam Naficy, MD

Normal Bruising Expected

+1

Great question. You should expect to experience bruising for approximately 7 days after surgery. Taking supplements like Arnica Montana and Bromelain 5 days before and after surgery may significantly help reduce your bruising and swelling symptoms.

Mark Codner, MD

Common

+1

Bruising is common and part of the natural healing process. I have seen patients bruised 1-3 weeks depending on the health of each patient. We commonly see only 12-14 days of bruising and swelling. This healing needs to be followed by the surgeon.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bruising after a Facelift

+1

Bruising is obviously normal after facelift surgery. The severity and duration will vary among patients depending on the general health of each patient and what was done during the operation. In general, I tell patients it will last about 2 weeks. Our aesthetician will  provide makeup and instruct the patient how to camouflage the bruising during the healing process after the stitches are removed.

Facelift bruising

+1

Bruising after a facelift is common and expected. The bruiding can last as long as 2-3 weeks. In my patients, I typically expect bruising to be resolved within 10 days after the surgery.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Facelift Recovery

+1

Everybody is different.  It is amazing how different people recover after similar surgeries.  This morning I saw someone completely bruise free one week after her facelift while later I saw someone at 3 weeks with a little residual bruising.  In general,  I tell my patients between 1-3 weeks.  If they tend to bruise easily with injections or minor trauma then count on longer.  If they don't bruise easily, count on less time.  Good luck!

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Good preparation can minimize brusing in facelifts

+1

Essentially all patients will experience some degree of bruising after a facelift (less so with less invasive procedures and more so with deeper procedures).

Certainly some people bruise easier than others because of their inherent healing and anatomy but there are ways to minimize the bruising by preparing for your surgery beforehand. Two commonly used products are arnica montana (for bruising) and bromelain (for swelling). Both have beeen shown to be effective for healing but not all surgeons use them. The best way to determine what supplements to take and what medications to avoid should be discussed with your doctor at your pre-operative visit.

So while brusing is to be expected with facelifts, the amount that occurs and the time it lasts can certainly be improved with good preparation and post-op care.

Kamran Jafri, MD

+1

In a perfect world, there would be no bruising after a Face Lift however, any tissue dissection can and does cause bruising and swelling.  This is the main reason, after performing Face Lifts for over 20 years, that we offer a minimally invasive Face Lift that has limited tissue dissection resulting in a recovery that's measured in days, not weeks or months as in traditional Face Lifts.  The amount of bruising as well as how quickly the bruise dissolves is variable from patient to patient and can be from days to weeks depending on the size and depth of the bruise.