Bruises Spreading 10 Days Post BA over Op? (photo)

During thed beginning of the first week post op I had really nasty bruises at the incision site, they have since turned a pale yellow and are healing nicely. I am now 10 days post op and the bruising has spread down my ribs, settled in my belly button (which has mostly gone away) and lightly across my entire abdomen, but really dark bruising on my hip bones... I don't understand how bruising works? Is it possible the blood is just settling as it is absorbed or am I not healing? Its not painful.

Post Operative Spreading Bruise

+2

Bruising is a sign of blood in the tissues. This can be from numerous factors such as generalized bleeding from the muscle or a small artery which when cut went into what is known as a vasospasm so that it did not bleed until the post operative period. In any case, depending on the amount of soft tissue blood, gravity will cause the hematoma to go to lower anatomical regions. This will manifest as a migrating hematoma.

From your description it sounds as if this should continue to resolve with time. I can not however stress enough that you must continue to follow up closely with your plastic surgeon as only with an in person exam can you adequately diagnose if there is active bleeding, requiring intervention. 

Good luck.

Breast Augment

+1

Typically brusiing does not spread to your belly button I would suggest seeing your PS. It doesnt mean anything bad is going on but its worth a check

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Bruising after breast augmentation

+1

It is natural for the blood under the skin (bruising) to settle to lower areas of the body due to gravity. However, the amount of bruising seems a bit more than average. I would consult with your surgeon to make sure everything is fine.

hope this helps,

Dr. Michael in Miami

Michael Salzhauer, MD

Bruising and breast augmentation

+1

The best person to ask about your specific bruising is your surgeon. A proper exam can be performed to determine if this is normal or abnormal.

Bruising after Breast Augmentation Normal?

+1

Your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to advise you. However, based on the photograph and your description it is very likely that the bruising you are experiencing has to do with bleeding/inflammation that has spread with time and gravity. You will find that the bruising will gradually dissipate ( after it turns to a yellowish color).

+1

Additional posting of the breast photo would help. But you need to be seen in person for evaluation if you are actively bleeding. 

Bruising on abdomen after a breast augmentation

+1

Thank you for the photos. Bruising means that there's bleeding in the tissues or muscle and it takes a few days to surface. This could be because the dissection was bloody, you were on supplements that can cause delayed clotting or can have a minor clotting abnormality. You are healing, but the concern is, if there was any blood around the implant. this can possibly lead to capsular contracture. Blood is an irritant and causes more scarring. In a BA it is especially important to have a dry dissection, absolutely no blood in the pocket prior to implant insertion. Follow up closely with your plastic surgeon. Good luck.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Hello

+1

Bruising subsides different on everyone. Having the bruising on your abdomen is not abnormal. Gravity makes it go down its very normal. Make sure you see your PS and follow up with him/her.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS