Bruising Feeling After Breast Implants

I got breast implants in 2006. It's been 3 years and everything has been fine, up until this past week when a small area of my right breast has been slighty hurting. It feels as though it was bruised, yet there are no visual indications of a physical, darkened bruise. What could this be? Thanks.

I am a bartender. Could it be possibly because I lifted something too heavy/too quickly and torn something?

You may be right

+2

The expalnation of what is going on may be exactly as you suspect. If the breasts are not harder, it isn't a capsular contracture which is a common cause of breast discomfort. It may be entirely from your breast tissue and not the implant at all. Have you had a recent mammogram? If not, I'd recommend one. If it persists, go back to your plastic surgeon. What you are describing is not uncommon.

Pain in breasts

+1

You may have self diagnosed yoru problem. Some soreness in the breast really can be from almost anything. If you can pinpoint a moment of exertion or perhaps trauma, this is the most likely cause.

It may not have anything to do with the implants.

+1

It really may have nothing to do with the implants. However, you should see your surgeon for an examination. I would not get too worried about something that occurred three years after your surgery and has only been there for a week. If it does not resolve over the next week or so or if it worsens, then I would suggest seeing your doctor sooner rather than later. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Can be a bruised nerve

+1

The nerves that supply the breast come up between the ribs along the side of the breast. It is not uncommon to turn a certain way and ding a sensory nerve. The most common symptom is a deep burn or ache type sensation. If this is the case a little gentle massage on the lateral breast can be beneficial. If your symptoms do not go away in a few days then a visit to your plastic surgeon is indicated.

Could Be A Few Things

+1

First I agree that it could be strain due to your job (which is almost a contact sport in N.Y.). However, capsular contracture usually doesn't set in for several years. Now to be honest I wouldn't worry about this too much. Just about every surgeon puts the implants under the muscle. This reduces capsular contracture to almost nothing. In fact I haven't seen it in my practice.

So give it 4-6 weeks. If it continues to be a problem see your plastic surgeon.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Bruising feeling will go away

+1

Give it sometime, it will likely go away. If you experience spasms you can ask your doctor for a muscle relaxant. It seems you have a small muscle tear or you might just bruise easily.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Bruised feeling after breast implants

+1

You did not specify if your implants were "over" or "under" but I suspect they are under.

It is fairly common for women to overly exert themselves and experience brief periods of bruising or swelling. This is the most propable explanation. However, in medicine, we want to make sure it is not something worse.

• Is there swelling or a mass?
  • Are you a candidate for a mammogram (over 35)?
  • Is this related to your menstrual cycle?
  • Have you chnaged hormone preparations?

In any event, I would try ice and anti-inflammatory agents. If the feeling does not resolve after 3 weeks, I would schedule an appointment with a physician to discuss your concerns and any other workup if necessary.

Bruising feeling after implants not uncommon

+1

It sounds like you mostly likely strained the overlying pectoralis muscle or tore the capsule. This is not an uncommon occurence especially if you are very active. Local measures including cold and warm compresses will help. If it persists for more that a month, I would make an appointment to see your Plastic Surgeon.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Bruised breast

+1

City Girl,
You may have indeed strained or torn a muscle while lifting something heavy or actively mixing drinks. Try some warm compresses for comfort and rest if you can. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Transient symptoms are common.

+1

To CityGirl212,

Hi. If this goes away in a few days, then you can assume it is nothing serious. If it persists, then have a through examination. I wouldn't speculate about the cause.

If you have silicone implants, then we recommend that you have an MRI of your breasts after 3 years. An MRI will detect a silent leak.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)