Best Treatment for Brown Spots and Large Pores on Asian Skin?

I had light brown spots on the side of eyes and a skin laser spa recommended for a Fraxel treatment to improve the melasma and big pores on my nose/face. The Fraxel left me with even darker sports all around eyes and no improvement on my pores.

Would you please advise what else can be done to treat these brown spots after the Fraxel and improve the big pore size? I'm 40 years old Asian. Thank you!

Fraxel Restore on Asian Skin

+1

Hi,

It sounds like you may have what we call temporary post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation after your Fraxel Restore treatment.  It is best treated with a bleaching cream that includes hydroquinone.  We treat many Asian patients with Fraxel Restore and we prepare them by putting them on a bleaching cream before Restore and occasionally after Restore to prevent PIH.  With Asian skin there are also optimal Restore laser settings to achieve your desired result.  The good thing is that your pigmentation is not permanent and will go away.  The best thing for you to do is to start a cream with hydroquinone and use a sunscreeen with a minimum SPF of 45 that contains a physical sunblock like zinc or titanium.

Dr. Liu

Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser treatments for brown spots

+1

It sounds like you have post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation after the Fraxel treatment. Bleaching creams and sunprotection will help fade it out.
There are many possible diagnoses for the light brown spots around your eyes that were treated with Fraxel. Without seeing pictures it is impossible to say if these are lentigines (age spots), acquired nevus of Ota, freckles, melanocytic nevi, or seborrheic keratoses. Best laser treatment depends on the diagnosis and the depth of pigment. For example, my favorite treatment for lentigines is Q-Switched Ruby laser. The QS 532nm works well too, however, may result in temporary bruising. Prior to having laser treatment of pigmented lesions, remember to have your dermatologist check your brown spots to make sure they truly are benign.

Felix Kuo, MD
Long Island Dermatologist

Fraxel re:store on Asian Skin Resulting in No Improvement of Melasma

+1

Hi Asianskin,

Asian skin is difficult to treat for melasma and brown spots. Fraxel re:store at low energy levels and low densities have been successful in many patients, but unsuccessful as in your case with many other patients. There is an increased risk of post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH) in Asian skin. Fortunately, over time, the darkness will fade.

In those patients that do not respond well to the series of Fraxel re:store treatments, I have been using Cosmelan peel treatment with very nice results. There is another melasma/dark spot peel called Melanage` that is also quite good. I would recommend one of those peels along with sun protection/avoidance.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Asian skin is sensitive

+1

You need to be very careful about laser treatment performed to your skin. Ethnic skin tends to be more sensitive and prone to hyperpigmentation. Even more minimally invasive lasers like the Fraxel can cause problems. Fortunately, most hyperpigmentation is temporary or can be treated with skin lightening agents like hydroquinone. I usually have my patients on a skin care regimen of hydroquinone and Retin-A before laser therapy to optimize the skin prior to treatment and to reduce the risk of hyperpigmentation. I would wait for your current hyperpigmentation to resolve before considering repeat treatment.

Samson Lee, MD