Brown Spot After Mole Removal. Will it Fade? (photo)

I'm a 21 year old Asian male. I had a raised mole (0.4cm in size) near my eye removed (cauterize method) by a cosmetic surgeon about a month ago. The scab had fallen off on it's own and the mole area had filled (slightly raised) in after roughly 2 weeks, it left a dark brownish surrounding, slight pink spot in the middle below where the mole once was. Will the discoloration fade? How long would it take to heal and return to my natural skin tone? Replies would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Mole removal

+1

You may be experiencing post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH) which is common in patients who have darker skin.  I would recommend that you use hydroquinone cream with Retin-A, and also be careful with sun exposure. 

Discoloration After Mole Removal

+1

Post-Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation (PIH) can occur after surgery or any type of inflammation in ethnic patients who have darker skin. It's hard to tell from your photos but this could be the case for you. You should go back to your surgeon to see if this is the diagnosis or whether there is still some of the mole present. If it is felt that you have hyperpigmentation, a cream such as hydroquinone or Retin-A may be helpful. Be sure to use sunscreen daily as well. 

Best Regards,

Dr. Mehta

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon