Risk of Hair Loss After Browlift

i would like to have a browlift. i am worry about the loss of hair. My hair is very thin. In addition. I have been searching information and my understanding about endoscopic browlift is that it will last only a few years versus the open brown lift that will be last for more that 10 years. I am 46, I went to see a doctor and he told me I should have botox instead of the surgery. I don't think this will be an option for me because of the price and the time I will be spending on botox brownlift. Thanks for your answers,

Hair loss after brow lift

+6

The only type of brow lift that can result in permanent hair loss is the old coronal approach. In my opinion , it should only be used on those with low hairlines and very thick hair.

The small incision, endoscopic or trichophytic hairline approaches should not  result in any permanent hair loss.

Temporary hair loss  ("shock  loss") can occur with any surgery to the scalp including face lifts and hair transplants. When and if this relatively rare situation occurs, hair starts to grow back in 3 months.

I doubt if you have little to fear about hair loss if your work is done by an experienced surgeon.

My preference is for the trichophytic hairline approach as it does not move the hairline ( and even accomodates the lowering of it)  and  allows for a variety of maneuvers to be instituted. I feel it lasts the longest and that the only possible drawbacks are temporary numbness of the front of the scalp and a potentially visible scar if the hair direction is backwards, as in a cowlick formation.

Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair loss after browlift

+3

Although it may occur in rare instances, hair loss (alopecia) is relatively uncommon after brow lift, especially if performed endoscopically. Botox may improve the position of the brows somewhat but is only a temporary solution.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Minimal risk

+3
The discussion of hair loss is an important part of the informed consent process when considering a browlift. the likelihood of this actually happening is quite low when proper techniques and preservation of the blood supply is maintained.
Ask your surgeon to review this with you and look at patient photos who have had the procedure.

good luck

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Hair loss after Brow Lift

+3

There is very little risk of hair loss after endoscopic brow lift. Though it could happen, it is significantly less than with a coronal incision. Additionally, there is no scalp numbness. Although endoscopic brow lifts used to have problems with maintaining correction, newer techniques have made them as reliable as the old coronal lift.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Risk of Hair Loss After Browlift

+2

With any kind of incision in the hair line there is always the risk of permanent or semi-permanent hair loss (shock loss) at the incision site. The endoscopic approach to a brow lift has a much lower chance to create hair loss as there is not as much nerve damage or scar tissue. Both those factors can make it hard for a hair follicle to remain undamaged. However, with how far we’ve come in the world of plastics, an endoscopic approach can last a significant amount of time. It would be good to see a picture to fully evaluate what would be the best option for you personally.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Risk of Hairloss After Browlift

+2
There are a variety of browlift techniques, and each one needs to be individualized for the patient. The risk of hair loss is usually quite low, but can occur along the incision line typically when there is excessive tension and/or rough handling of the skin and/or delicate hair that is susceptible to falling out. Whether the lateral browlift, or trichophytic/hairline incision, or lateral browlift (the one I most commonly utilize) is chosen depends on the appearance of your brows, your goals, the thickness of your skin and heaviness of your brows, your hair pattern, and the experience of your surgeon.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Browlift vs Botox

+2

I trained with one of the world's most famous plastic surgeons who was a master of brow lifting. In fact, he never performed an endoscopic brow lift( I do).  He even did open browlifts on bald people!( I am reluctant).  But, his patients usually healed extremely well from the open, based upon good technique, proper design of incisions, and minimal to no tension. His open brow lifts lasted much longer than 10 years.  I agree, I do endobrow lifts in many  patients, andt hey may need to be redone in the future but it limits scars and numbness to the scalp.

Hair loss is possible

+2

Unfortunately, any technique including the endoscopic approach may lead to some hair loss especially in the incision line.  Good luck with surgery.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Risk of Hairloss after browlift

+2

Since the endoscopic approach allows this surgery to be performed through minimal incisions of 1/8th of an inch there is very little reason for hair loss using this technique.  The other popular approach is an incision at the hairline - this also avoids injury to hair follicles.  I have not performed a coronal browplasty for years - that approach was one in which hair loss was possible along the long incision back behind the hairline.  Unless there is the unusual circumstance of a very low hairline this approach is not one I would consider at this time. 

Douglas M. Stevens, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Brow lift - hair loss

+2

The chances of you having hair loss with an endoscopic brow lift is low.  However, I would recommend also getting Botox as a supplement to your brow lift.  If your plastic surgeon feels that botox is the appropriate treatment, I would seriously consider it.  Without pictures or seeing you in person, it's impossible to tell which procedure would be better for you.  However, BOTOX is a minimally invasive office procedure that is not very expensive that could significantly improve your appearance.

Dr. Cat Begovic.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD