Is a Browlift More Appropriate Than a Blepharoplasty for me?

I am a 28 year old black male and I have notice a significant increase in swelling above my eye lids with one a little more than the other. If I sleep on my side, face down or if i am in a heated environment it gets even worse. I thought about getting a blepharoplasty surgery after speaking to 3 doctors but 1 doctor said that my eye brows are low and upper eye lid surgery would not make a difference. What should I do? because I dont want to do both if both procedures aren't necessary.

Upper Blepharoplasty for Young Patients

+1

This is a relatively easy question to answer. Because your brows appear to be in a youthful position, an upper blepharoplasty would be the procedure you should consider.

Browlift or Blepharoplasty

+1
Your photographs appear to show your brows to be in a good position. I would not advise a Browlift at this time. You do not want to elevate the brows when they are in their proper position as yours appear to be. An upper lid blepharoplasty surgery would be a better alternative and this should be done conservatively. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Blepharoplasty and BOTOX may be the solution for you

+1

Chronic allergies and sinus conditions may cause the eyelids to swell, creating a tired or sad appearance. Sun exposure, heredity, excessive squinting, constant eye rubbing, and the use of contact lenses promote sags and bags around the eyes. In some individuals, these conditions may even interfere with your vision. As the eyelid muscles age, they sag and create bulges.

From the photos that you have submitted, I would NOT deem you to be a candidate for a browlift surgery in my practice.  Surgically lifting your brow will create an unnatural, feminine, surprised look. Rather, I would suggest a upper eyelid surgery to surgically alleviate the heavy appearance of your upper lids - combined with BOTOX to give your brows a slight, natural elevation. 

Blepharoplasty can correct:

1. Sagginess of the eyelids
  2. Bulging and bags around the eyes
  3. Tired or sad appearance
  4. Field of vision
  5. Some lines and wrinkles around the eyes

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

What's causing your brow asymmetry?

+1

I agree from your photos that your right eyebrow is higher than your left.  There are a number of possible reasons for this. You should see a knowledgeable surgeon  before considering surgery to make certain your elevated eyebrow isn't a compensation for a droopy eyelid on the same side.  You have asymmetry in the contour of your upper sulcus (the trough above the eyelids) that wll be difficult to correct regardless of the surgery chosen so proceed cautiously. Good luck.

Nicholas Carr, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

You have to be very careful doing browlift surgery on a young male

+1

I think you have to be very careful doing browlift surgery on a young male because it can look unnatural. The photograph does not look to me like you need eyebrow surgery. If you’re going to have blepharoplasty, make sure the surgeon is very conservative and takes very little skin and muscle. Often in young patients getting the brows lifted is a better look. You can use a neuromodulator like Botox to give a subtle lift and a more natural look, and sometimes a filler can be used as well.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Browlift vs Upper Eyelid Blepharoplasty

+1

As long as these pictures were taken with your forehead at rest, an upper eyelid blepharoplasty is the best procedure for you. The asymmetry will not be corrected.

Your brows look appropriate to me

+1

As best I can tell your brows look like they are in a good position.  It is gender appropriate for men to have a lower relatively flat brow.  You may want to consider other procedures besides a brow lift.

Farzad R. Nahai, MD

+1

From your photo, your eyebrows seem like they are in good position, especially for a man.  Raising the eyebrows anymore will make your face look more feminine.  A Blepharoplasty seems like a better choice.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Do I need a brow lift?

+1

Based on your pictures and age, it is unlikley that a brow lift is the right thing for you. Consider jsut having the eyelid surgery only.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Brow lift vs upper lids

+1

Hard to say because in the photo the brow looks okay, but you may be elevating in the photo. You would need an in person consultation.