Sub-brow Lifts Do They Work?

Dear Doctors: Is a sub-brow lift appropriate for someone who has minimal to moderate drooping of the brows? It is where you cut directly below the brow or directly above it. 1) How long do the results last? and what are the risks? 2) Does it cause premature aging or lower the brows even more than they naturally are over time? Thank you for your consideration.

browlifting techniques

+1

There are many different brow lifting techniques such as endoscopic, coronal in (behind the hairline or at the hairline), and direct brow lifting. Patient's individual anatomy,  brow position, wrinkles and muscle strength and hairline position all determine which technique to use.  We do not recommend a brow lift for minimal brow ptosis. Please see  the link below for examples of brow lifting results in our practice.

Sub-brow lift?

+1

I believe that the procedure you are discussing is a direct brow lift that is usually performed in a wrinkle line above the eyebrow.  My only use for this procedure would be in a bald male patient with deep forehead wrinkle creases. The procedure is very effective and the risks are minimal, but you have to be able to tolerate the forehead scar.

Michael Sundine, MD

Brow lift from below

+1

I assume you are referring to a brow lift from below the eyebrows, done through eh upper eyelid crease.  This in minimally effective and in most situations of limited longevity.  A surgical brow lift (hairline) is likely going to give you the greatest longevity 

Sam Naficy, MD

"sub brow lift"

+1

"Sub-brow" lift is not a term that surgeons use to describe the different techniques in brow lifting. A "direct" brow lift is the technique with the incision is directly above the eyebrows, usually in a preexisting crease or wrinkle. It is a good technique in an older person with very deep wrinkles and a significant brow droop.

There is an "brow lift" technique that is achieved through a well hidden eyelid crease incision. However, this does not adequately raise the eyelid, but rather stabilizes it. It can potentially give a very subtle lift, but I would not use it in someone that needs a significant brow elevation.

A pretrichial [hairline] browlift can last ten years or longer, and in my opinion is the most effective and cosmetically pleasing approach, in a person with the appropriate hairline.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Brow lift

+1

I am not sure what procedure you are referring to but no procedure lasts for a lifetime. You will still have aging with time

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Brow Lift

+1

To be honest I am not sure I understand what you would like performed.  I perform at least 6 different types of brow lift/pexy procedures - coronal, pretrichial, endoscopic, temporal, direct, and internal brow pexy.  Direct brow lift in deep wrinkle patients is one option and can be performed close to the brow in a subcutaneous fashion. An internal brow pexy may be another option.  However, this prevents descent more so than produces significant lift.

Browlift for droopy brow.

+1

The best choice for the past 35 years since we invented it is the Irregular Trichophytic Forehead Lift. It is done thru the hairline and hair grows thru the scar so you will not see a scar. Also no hair is removed and the hairline is NOT raised.

A subcutaneous brow lift is a good operation where only a modest amount of lifting it desired.

+1

Subcutaneous brow lift is a relatively simple operation. The incision can be varied depending on the anatomy and the desires of the patient. It can be performed with mild sedation and local anesthesia. The results are long-lasting. It does not accelerate aging of the brow. The risks are minimal.

Minimally Invasive Brow Procedures Can Help

+1

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, it is a bit unclear. A sub brow procedure is not the typical terminology used but suggests doing something from below the brow, not above.  An internal brow pexy through an upper eyelid procedure is most effective for stabilizing the brow after an eyelid lift to prevent further descent.  A direct brow lift above the brow or in the forehead does work, but is more appropriate for a patient with severe drooping, thick skin and forehead wrinkles and a good reason not to do a formal brow procedure.  A lateral brow pexy is effective for lifting the lateral third of the brow in patients without severe drooping or in conjunction with an upper eyelid procedure.  An endoscopic browlift works well lifting the brow with minimal incisions.  The gold standard is still the open browlift.  It is most effective in treating all of the signs of aging of the forehead and eyebrow region. Unfortunately, it comes at the price of a longer incision, but most patients do very well.  Hope this helps!

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon