I Had a Brow Lift Using Screws and Two Years After Surgery my Head Started to Swell in That Region?

It appears their was debris above the screw which the plastic surgeon removed. Their was no tool to remove the screw so he drilled it further into my head . A year on the other side is swelling . My worry is that my body may be rejecting the screws themselves . Has anyone heard of this swelling years on Regards Leeanne

Swelling Around Screws After Browlift

+2

Since your surgeon tried drilling the screws in even further they were likely made out of titanium.  Titanium is very well tolerated by the body if it is rigidly fixed (i.e. not loose).  If titanium is loose it can become infected and the treatment is to remove the screws.  If the screws were absorbable there can be some foreign body reaction as the screw degrades and this can also be scraped out and removed.  Please follow up with your surgeon to have this checked out. 

Browlift Screw Reaction Years After Surgery

+2

It is not rare that the body can react to any indwelling foreign material. If there are persistent inflammatory reactions that is an indication that the resolution of the problem is going to be the complete removal of the material. It would be helpful to know what type of screws were used for your browlift surgery.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Infection

+1

It is unlikely that your body is "rejecting" the screw. More likely is that it may have become infected. Follow up with the surgeon. It is important to know what type of screws were used so that your surgeon can have the proper tools to remove them.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Screw issue from browlift

+1

Titanium screws are pretty inert. If you developed a local infection then that could lead to persistent swelling. An evaluation is in order possibly with studies and ultimately removal of the screw.

Inflamation following browlift or foreheadlift with screws

+1

inflamation following browlift or foreheadlift with screws

titanium screws rarely cause problems.  they are used everywhere in the body permanantly.

none the less.  ongoing foreign body reaction may require complete removal.