Will Ocular Rosacea Create Brow Lift Complication?

I have ocular rosacea and have had several surgeries to my eyelids when inflamed. Will this create a complication in considering a brow lift? I understand this condition could worsen with Blepharoplasty. What would be the best option for reducing the fat or weight of the upper eyelid and the bags under the eye, given my condition?

Browlift Might Work Well for you

+2

A brow lift could potentially work well for you.  The incisions are behind the hairline, distant from the area of rosacea.  The brow lift may provide nice contour improvements to the area around your eye without creating problems with the rosacea.

The lower lid bags might be well treated with a transconjunctival fat removal (an incision on the inside of the lower eyelid).

I'd want to confer with your dermatologist to be sure he/she was in agreement.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Brow lifts and rosacea

+1

Brow lifts are extremely popular and effective way to reposition the brow. A brow lift is performed by lifting the skin and releasing some of the attachments of the underlying forehead muscle. The excess skin is then removed. Rosacea is a condition of the superficial skin. A brow lift should not effect of this condition. Be sure to work with a board-certified plastic surgeon was a great deal of experience in skin resurfacing and brow lift techniques. They may recommend that you perform your surgery when you're rosacea is not active.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Eyelid rejuvination without eyelid skin incisions

+1

A browlift can be a great way to rejuvinate your upper eyelids without actually causing any direct trauma to the actual skin of the upper lids. Traditional browlifts, or forehead lifts, involve an incision made completely within the scalp or partially in the scalp and partially at the forehead hairline. Not only are the eyebrows and upper lids lifted, but the bonus is that the frown lines can be removed at the same time by removal of muscle tissue beneath the skin that causes the frown to occur. Horizontal forehead creases are dramatically improved as well. A well executed browlift will also lift the upper cheek tissues, and looks great when combined with a mini-facelift.

To improve the fat pads or bags under the lower lids, a subconjunctival blepharoplasty may be the best surgical option. Unlike traditional lower lid blepharoplasty, which is done through a lower lid skin incision, the subconjunctival procedure is done through the inner lining of the eyelid so that no skin incision or stitches are necessary. Skin tightening of the lower lid can then be done with the either the traditional or new fractional CO2 laser if desired.

Bear in mind, however, that even if no direct trauma occurs to the eyelid skin, it is possible for the Rosacea to flare simply from the stress of the surgical procedure. Make sure your condition is well controlled and you are under the care of a dermatologist before embarking on any elective surgical intervention.

Pamela B. Rosen, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon