Will Forehead Tucks Help Make the Eye Area Less Droopy?

Someone suggested "forehead tucks" on each side of the forehead to make the area under my eyebrows and over my outer eyelids look less droopy. I had a blepharoplasty in 2003, although I was not happy with the results because there's too much scarring and my eyes are uneven.

Do you surgeons feel that the bilateral forehead tucks would improve my appearance? I have permanent eyebrows tattooed on, but will get them lasered off.

Forehead lifts can cause the eyebrows to be unnaturally high

+2

My personal opinion would be to defer surgery at this time. Although the extra skin on the outside of you upper eyelids would likely be improved with a forehead lift, I have concerns regarding the final appearance of your eyebrows. If nothing were done to the eyebrows they could end up being unnaturally high and give you a look of constant “surprise.” You mentioned that they are currently tattooed and that you could have the tattoos removed with a laser. I am concerned that the laser may not completely remove the entire tattoo and you could be left with residual pigment in the area.

If you still feel you would want to have a forehead lift, I would recommend trying to have the tattoos removed first to see how effective this is. If the pigment cannot be adequately removed, you will not have to deal with eyebrows that are too high.

I hope this helps you with your decision. Good luck and best wishes to you.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

No browlift for you

+2

Your eyebrows appear to be in good position and do not look like they need to be raised. If you raise them, you will end up with an unnatural "deer in the headlights" look. It may be necessary to fixate the brows so that they dont pull down once the excess eyelid skin is removed but I would not raise them.

From your photo, it looks like you have always had full upper lids. Re-inflating that area and removing excess skin will give you a more rejuvenated appearance than raising the brows. Pull out some old photos of yourself from 20 years ago and you'll see what I mean. I doubt that your brows were much higher.

By the way, your lower eyelids appear to be pulled down (previous lower eyelid surgery?) and this should be corrected at the same time to give you the best cosmetic result.

Jonathan Hoenig, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Endoscopic Browlift is the procedure of choice

+2

While I cannot see your hairline in the picture it appears that a conservative endoscopic browlift would be very helpful. If your hairline is already elevated then a modified endoscopic browlift using a trichophytic "pre-hairline" incision would be indicated. As far as laser removal of the tatoo, be very careful, since you can potentially lose any remaining hairs in your eyebrow.

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Forehead lift for droopy eyes

+1

You are much more likely to benefit from lower eyelid retraction and upper eyelid ptosis repair procedures than you are from a forehead lift

Sam Naficy, MD

Forehead lift or not

+1

I think in your particular case, a forehead lift would not be the best thing. You have the chance of looking surprised due to the eyebrows ending up to high along with pulling the skin too tight over the bone of the brow. Pulling the forehead just laterally would lead to an unnatural pulled appearance in your case and I would stay away from that. I think a conservatively performed blepharoplasty or eye lift would give a subtle yet worthwhile improvement though.

Julio Garcia, MD

Droopy eyelids and forehead lifts

+1

It is somewhat difficult to tell whether or not you would be a good candidate for a brow lift without a thorough examination.  You expressed some dissatisfaction with your earlier blepharoplasty related to scarring and asymmetry.  It is possible that a revision of your eyelid surgery may be helpful.  From the photo you posted, your brows appear to be in a fairly satisfactory position but this is where an exam will be able to help.  I, too, would caution you against having laser tattoo removal if the tattoo is at the position of your natural brows.

Jeffrey E. Kyllo, MD

Browlift for treating the droopy eye area

+1

Blepharoplasty with or without browlifting (typically via an endoscopic approach) are procedures that treat outer droopy soft tissue of the upper eyelid and brow.  Simply performing belpharoplasty for removal of the outer hooding is a possiblity for you, but a thorough examination is necesary to determine what is contributing to the  droopiness in your situation.  You mention that your eyebrows have been tattooed on, so I would assume that your natural brows are much lower, in which case browlifting could be very beneficial for longterm control of the hooding.  Visiting the browlifting option assumes removal of the tattoos is possible and that you regrow your natural brow hairs (a lot of "ifs").  Certainly, a thorough examination by an experienced surgeon is in order, along with a detailed discussion of what are the best and least risky options for you.  I would be happy to evaluate you.  Have a nice day!

Thomas T. Le, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Forehead Lift

+1

Based on the photograph shown, I would not suggest raising your brows any higher than they currently are.  However, one way to simulate a browlift non surgically is via Botox injection into the lateral brow; you might want to try this first before considering surgery to see if you like it.  In the picture shown, the lower lids have some degree of retraction and scleral show.  Addressing this concern will provide both aesthetic and functional improvement.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Forehead lift versus blepharoplasty

+1

Hi.  In the normal, attractive female, the brow position should be at, or slightly above, the rim of the bony eye socket.  Judging by your photo, your brows are positioned at this correct location.  They do not need to be elevated any higher - that would be abnormally high, and could look overdone, if operated on.

So, on that basis, I would not recommend a brow lift for you.  Good luck!

Thomas Fiala, MD

Many effective ways to lift the forehead.

+1

Patients today have many options to change the shape and position of their forehead and eyebrows. Many techniques can be performed very small incisions that are well hidden in the hairline.
It is most definitely possible to rejuvenate the forehead, erase wrinkles, and place the brows in a more attractive appearance without creating a peaked brow or altering the shape of your eyes. Your best bet is to work with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has a great deal of experience in brow lifts and facial rejuvenation. They can assess your brow and face and help determine what combination of procedures will help you meet your aesthetic goals.

Pat Pazmino, MD