Can Brow Lift and Botox on Forehead Affect Smile?

I had a Brow lift and Botox was used on my forehead now my smile is dead. I can not move my upper lip normally.

I had a beautiful smile before the brow lift now my upper lip does not move when I smile. I can pucker and move it find only when I smile it does not react.

The lift was done 2 weeks ago. My doctor is researching the cause but I do not feel comfortable with this situation.

Likely related to swelling from Browlift

+1

A brow lift and Botox to the forehead should not affect your smile in a permanent way. However at just two weeks after surgery it possible that it is just related to swelling. As you know the bruising and swelling migrates downwards with gravity and you may still have some in your cheeks or upper lip which can change the appearance of your smile. This should resolve in the next 2 weeks. If it's not improving you may wish to consult a neurologist.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Brow lift and botox on the forehead should not affect smile

+1

Not sure exactly why you would need botox in the forehead in conjunction with a browlift, but neither of these should affect your ability to smile normally.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD

Not smiling after Browlift with Botox

+1

Hi San Diego-

Browlifting and Botox to the forhead should never result in abnormal mouth or lip motion. The muscles and nerves affected by the browlift and forehead Botox have nothing at all to do with the upper lip. Unlike after rhinoplasty where there can be some temporary alteration of the smile because of swelling, there should be no way that brow swelling after browlift affects your smile. Furthermore, Botox physically can't diffuse from the brow into the upper lip and cause smile "deadening".

Any chance you might have recieved some Botox into your upper lip while you were under anesthesia? Another question I'd want to know is if you are having any other muscle problems such as swallowing difficulty, tongue weakness, eye muscle weakness, double vision etc. If you are having any other such neurologic symptoms, see your primary care provider or a neurologist for an evaluation. If not, and you otherwise are doing fine, I'd just wait it out and see your plastic surgeon on a weekly basis.

Randolph Capone, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon