Waiting Time Between Brow Lift and Upper Blepharoplasty

Getting a brow lift upper and lower bepharoplasty based on (3) plastic surgeons opinions. One Surgeon says do brow and lower blepharoplasty and wait 4-6 months for brow to heal then do upper blepharoplasty as this will give best result. Second surgeon say do brow, upper and lower blepharoplasty all at same time and results will be very good. Third surgeon says it is totally up to me as the results will be fine either way. Please advise.

When to do browlift and upper blepharoplasty

+2

I know it can be confusing when you get 3 different opinions from 3 different surgeons but I think the reason you're getting conflicting information is that essentially does not matter.   I have done endoscopic browlifts then upper blepharoplasty, upper blepharoplasty then an endoscopic browlift., staged endoscopic browlift following an upper blepharoplasty and all the permutations in between.   With proper marking, estimation of brow height and upper eyelid skin removal your results should be the same whatever the timing.  Most usually the procedures, if both required or desirable, are done at the same time in order to have one recovery period and maximum benefit to the upper third of the face. 

Long Island Facial Plastic Surgeon

Simultaneous browlift and upper lid blepharoplasty

+2

In my office we routinely perform the browlift and the upper lid blepharoplasty together.  I appreciate that there can be some descent of the brow after a browlift but for the most part this can be taken into account during the preoperative marking.  And think of this - if there is a need for additional upper lid blepharoplasty this can easily be performed at the two month post op mark if necessary.  In most cases it is not. 

So there is nothing to lose by doing it all together.  In most cases my patients are happy and have had to put up with only one recovery time.  In those instances where they would like a little additional tightening of the upper eyelid I can do that easily for them. 

Douglas M. Stevens, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Spacing browlift and upper blepharoplasty surgeries

+2

Our personal preference is to perform the browlift first and within two to three months follow up with a blepharoplasty if needed. The reason for this is that the brows always have to be slightly over corrected because they always descend downwards from their position shortly after the surgery. If you have the blepharoplasty done at the same time, it is possible that not enough skin will be removed.

You should ideally wait a full 6 months between the surgeries

+2

Most people have these procedures done together, so they can heal all at once. But, if there’s a question on whether or not you will need the blepharoplasty after you see what you look like when you have a brow lift, then it makes sense to have these procedures separately. You can get a good result either way. If you are going to have the two procedures done separately, you should ideally wait a full 6 months between the surgeries. Under no circumstances, however, should the second surgery be done any sooner than 3 months after the first.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Time Between Browlift and Upper Blepharoplasty

+2

In the ideal situation I would do the browlift and lower eyelid blepharoplasty simultaneously and 6-8 weeks later do the upper lid blepharoplasty. I feel the upper blepharoplasty is more precise after the brows  have settled. With this approach the blepharoplasty is a small procedure frequently done under local anesthesia. When logistics are a problem, such as with patients from out of state or out of the country, patients may not want to return for a second procedure. In that situation I will do all surgery at the same time, achieving an excellent result.

Browlift with Blepharoplasty

+2

Browlift with Blepharoplasty
Before we had good methods of stabalizing the brow, there may have been a reason to do a browlift, let it settle and then do an upper blepharoplasty. With our present methods of release and fixation of the brow that prevent it from refallilng, there is, now, no reason to do them seperately.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery and browlift

+2

Eyelid surgery and a browlift are typically performed at the same time to avoid a second recovery and second anesthetic.  Typically, in the operating room, the browlift should be the first procedure, followed by the upper blepharoplasty.  This way, overresection of eyelid skin does not occur and tension is not placed on the eyelid incision after the browlift.  Seek an experienced aesthetic surgeon for best results. 

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

What order to do browlift, upper and lower blepharoplasty

+2

I would recommend doing the upper lid and the brow together at least or all three at the same time. There is no reason to wait 4-6 months between surgeries.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Brow Lift and Upper Blepharoplasty

+2

In my practice, a browlift, upper and lower lid Blepharoplasty are routinely performed in one procedure, under one anesthetic.  The rational for this is that you avoid a second recovery period.  The brow lift is performed first in order to establish how much skin can be safely removed.  One of the risks of upper lid Blepharoplasty is lagophthalmos, meaning an inability to close one's eyes completely.  However, with careful preoperative planning and accurate measurements, this is a very avoidable complication.  The advice of the first Surgeon is conservative, but certainly not unreasonable.  I would recommend you choose the Surgeon you feel most comfortable with, with whom you have established the best rapport, the best "gut feeling", and with friendly, helpful office staff.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Brow lift and blepharoplasty are used to achieve a beautiful look

+2

In general brow lift and upper lid Blepharoplasty can be combined to create a balanced and beautiful look.  For many people there is an advantage to doing them together as there may only be one recovery time and in Sacramento that is the most popular route for my patients.  However when doing a brow lift and upper lid Blepharoplasty in some situations there maybe more risk for either over correction or under correction.  Skin stretch and individual healing characteristics are variable and in some situations it is nice to do a brow lift first and see if that does not't correct the lateral upper lid eyelid skin excess.  And then if not come back after 3-6 months and take out whatever excess skin is left over after the brows have settled into there new position.  With the two stage approach you have less likelihood of not being able to shut your eyes lagophthalomis and in some situations one might not need an upper lid surgery at all.  There are many many different ways to obtain your goals and each surgeon will recommend a way that they feel most comfortable with achieving your specific goals.Have a wonderful day.

Charles Perry, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon