Should a Brow Lift and a Canthopexy Be Performed at the Same Time or is It Better to Do the Canthopexy Under Local Anthesia?

I need to have both surgeries. The brow lift will be performed under general anesthesia but I have been told the canthopexy should be done under local anesthesia so that if the surgeon needs it the patient can be asked to open its eyes during the surgery. Otherwise it's like operating on a corpse and their more of change for error. Is this true?

+2

These procedures can be performed separately or together. There are certain procedures (ptosis repair) that require the patient to consciously open and close their eyes to ensure symmetry and adequate correction. Canthopexy is not one of these procedures and does not require your participation to ensure a good result. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Usually, I perform these procedures at the same time.  Perhaps there is another reason the surgeon prefers to perform these seperately? 

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Browlift

+1

They can be done at the same time under general anaesthesia unless you need ptosis repair.  You should get a second opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Brow lift and canthopexy

+1

I will do a canthopexy with eyelid surgery all the time under sedation or general. The two can be done together.

Brow lift and canthopexy

+1

Both procedures can be performed  together or separately under sedation or general anesthesia. It really depends upon the physician and patient comfort level.

Anesthesia for brow lift and eyelid surgery

+1

Both procedures can be performed under sedation anesthesia where you are comfortable and still able to open/close your eyes depending on how much sedation is given at the time. For your information, some brow lift procedures (and any eyelid surgery) can also be performed under local anesthesia.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Brow lift and canthopexy

+1
I don't know why you are planning to have the browlift under general anesthesia as this is routinely performed with IV sedation which can be lightened if there is a need for the patient to open her eyes intraoperatively. I typically perform this as a combined procedure. If your surgeon has recommended separating the procedures, I would like to know more as to the basis. Discuss the anesthesia considerations with your surgeon.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Browlift and canthopexy can be done at the same time.

+1

Browlift and canthopexy can be done at the same time. I have done these two operations together for 35 years without any problem. See a very experienced surgeon for a second opinion.