TT After Hysterectomy?

I had a partial abdomen hysterectomy in January of this year, I would like to know when would be the best time to have a tummy tuck? My stomach is still numb for the nerve not growing back as of yet, and I am presently trying to loose weight, I am 5'7 weight around 190 and I know that puts my Bmi at a unsafe range...thanks

Tummy Tuck after Hysterectomy

+1

The tummy tuck can be performed several months after hysterectomy, provided healing was uncomplicated. Although goal weight is always recommended, a stable healthy weight is acceptable.  Once you have lost the amount of weight you want, find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tummy tuck after a hysterectomy

+1

Since you had an abdominal hysterectomy, your surgeon probably made a transverse incision through the muscle to do the surgery.  You need to give that muscle incision a chance to heal well, probably at least three months, but longer would be better.   The tightening of the muscle that is usually done in a tummy tuck is done vertically.  This vertical component can create opposing forces on the transverse scar of the muscle and lead to problems if the surgery is done too soon. 

Kelly R. Kunkel, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1

It is always best to lose as much weight as possible prior to having the tummy tuck. Your goal of losing some weight is great. Your result will also be better and the chance of having complications with the surgery will be significantly reduced.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Weight loss before tummy tuck

+1

It is always ideal to be at or close to your goal weight prior to having any body contouring procedure. Abdominoplasty, or tummy tuck, is no exception. This will allow your plastic surgeon to know how much excess skin you have and plan the surgery accordingly. Your recent hysterectomy doesn't have a major role in decision makin provided that your recovery was smooth without any major complications. 

Asaad H. Samra, MD
New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

TT after hysterectomy

+1

Sounds like you've got he right plan. It's always good to get down to a weight that you can maintain fairly easliy. That will allow more skin to be able to be removed and will also help your recovery. Otherwise I would tell you to wait preferably 6 months after you hysterectomy. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

TT After Hysterectomy

+1

I would plan on losing as much as is realistic for you. The closer to ideal weight the safer the surgery and the better the result. 160 pounds would bring your BMI to 25, but even half way there would be an improvement. If your schedule is not an issue, I would allow three months, but it your recent surgeon was uneventful and your incision well healed, anytime is probably OK. But do use whatever time you choose to lose some weight.

All the best. 

It's more your weight

+1

Your BMI is about 30 - best to lose 10 - 15 pounds and then do the TT -- I actually do tummy tucks along with a gynecologist who does the hysterectomy and then I do the tummy tuck. But you need to lose a few pounds and then have the TT.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Tummy tuck after hysterectomy

+1

In general, you should wait at least 6 months after the hysterectomy to have your tummy tuck.  This would also be a good time to try to lose more weight so you could have the best result with the abdominoplasty.

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty affter Hysterectomy

+1

I am glad you did not combine the tummy tuck and hysterectomy because this is not a safe practice.   There is no exact time range, but after a hysterectomy I would wait at least 6 months before tummy tuck.   If you are feeling well and want to move ahead earlier that is fine but usually 6 months is the limit before more surgery.   This practice varies with patient desire and surgeon choices.  My Best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon