At 1 Month Post Tummytuck my Scar Was Thin and Soft, 4 Months Later is Widen and Raise? (photo)

Please help.... Take a look at my 4 month post tummy tuck pictures, for some reason my scar is getting wide and thick. my PS told me that i didnt have to do any treatment for my scar that it would heal nicely even if i dindt do anything. thank God i didnt listen to him and been using silicome sheets since i was 1 month post op. But for some reason still getting wide, I am desperated dont know what to do please help.

Abdominoplasty Scars

+2

Normal scar maturation has two basic phases.  The first phase takes 6 to 8 weeks and involves the production of collagen and other tissue components to help strengthen the scar.  This can lead to a thickened and reddish appearance.  Over the next 6 to 8 weeks, the scar will start to mature and the collagen will flatten and the redness will start to fade.  This is all part of the normal healing process.  We have treatments such as the V Beam Perfecta laser which can help speed up the process.  Also, home treatments such as silicone scar sheeting and some topical products and help the scar mature faster as well.

Good Luck.

Tummy Tuck Scar 4 months After Surgery Is Worse

+2

From the appearance in the photographs, this seems to be the normal progression of scar maturation.  It is common for it to look its worse at 4-6 months and the fade with time.  I always recommend some type of scar tape treatment.

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

Tummy Tuck Scar Worse at 4 Months

+2

The tummy tuck scar will likely improve in appearance for about the first year.  Although the scar is pigmented now, that should resolve with time and improve to match the surrounding skin.   Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Treatment options for thick scars after a tummy tuck

+1

Silicone sheeting is a first step in helping to decrease thick scars.  Even though the scar may flatten over time, it will become a wide flat scar.  If the silicone sheeting does not seem to be helping, some lasers may be helpful.  Steroid injections into the scar will flatten it but this has to be carefully done to prevent a depression in the scar.

Michelle Hardaway, MD
Farmington Plastic Surgeon

Widenening scar after tummy tuck

+1

Yor scar appears to be wide and there are some areas of irregularity and waviness. Discuss this with your surgeon. Silicone sheets and scar gels may help. You may chose to have a scar revision in the future.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Tummy tuck scar

+1
Scarring can thicken and widen and use of silicone sheeting is wise. Scars typically look worse before they get better. This could be part of normal a car healing or you may need kenalog injections. Examination would be necessary to evaluate the density of the scar and you should return to your plastic surgeon for followup if you are concerned.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Scar problems after tummy tuck

+1

I feel ever abdomanal scar is a potential threat and I treat patients with Retin A-Hodroquinone mix to supress melanin formation.  It appears you have a lot of pigment in your scar.   After the preparation is well rubbed in and dry, patient apply kelocote (silicone) over the area and let that dry.  In both cases a hair dryer speeds the drying.   This combination, if used twice a day, really suppresses the melanin and pigment.  The silicone suppresses hypertrophic scar  by raising the temperature of the scar and thus causing  the collagen to break down faster that it builds up.    This is a great program and is continues as long as necessary.   Some patients need some variant of the program for up to a year.   Wjen outside always use generous sunscreen on the area.   You should start this immediately.  If you need information you can call your local plastic surgeon or we can send you information if you desire.   My Best,   Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck scar

+1

When you undergo a tummy tuck, one of the things you're paying for is removal of as much of that undesirable skin and fat as safely possible.  So, your surgeon probably did that.  The result is that the skin that used to be near your belly button is now near your pubic area.  That created tension on the closure of the incision.  To help offset that tension, most surgeons use some dissolving sutures beneath the skin.  Those sutures, to some degree, act as "internal Band Aids" to help you heal better and minimize your scarring.  The sutures, however, typically dissolve sometime around 4 months after they were put in.  That's pretty much where you are.  As those sutures dissolve and you lose that internal support, sometimes the scars widen.  There really is nothing you can do about how wide your scars will be.  Scars are also typically at their most colorful (pink/red/brown) around the 4th month.  They typically itch the most around then too.  Sometimes they become raised and thick.  Silicone rubber strips placed on scars that are raised, thick, and pink may be very effective.  However, they have to be worn 23 hours a day, seven days a week, for a few months.  It's inconvenient to do this, so often times women just wear the silicone rubber at night, or maybe a few hours here and a few hours there.  If you really want to see an effect you have to wear it pretty much all the time until the pink color has faded.  Silicone rubber doesn't always work, but studies tell us that it is one of the, if not the, best treatments for unfavorable scars that we have.  Have patience.  You're frustrated (and probably itchy).  Your pink color will fade over time and hopefully you'll love your new look and you'll be wearing all kinds of cool new clothes!

Kelly R. Kunkel, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

At 1 Month Post Tummy tuck my Scar Was Thin and Soft, 4 Months Later is Widen and Raised?

+1

It is not uncommon for the scars to look better in the first few weeks than they do at 6-8 weeks, when the peak inflammatory phase of wound healing usually occurs. It takes about a year for the scars to mature, and most do well with or without intervention.

Photos are not a ideal way to evaluate the scar. An in person assessment by your surgeon will provide better advice than you are likely to get on line.

All the best.