Liposuction Halted Bc PS Wanted More Money After the Surgery Already Began?

1 month prior to me scheduling my liposuction with my PS, the PS quoted me a price that I paid. The day of my surgery the PS reviewed my chart which included the price and procedures (his normal routine). The PS mark me with the famous marker & took his before picture. I layed on the table & the PS began to inject me with anesthesia. PS asked me about my career and I told him than he told me to get off the table & said needed $5K more. is this a common practice? I didnt do the surgery

Liposuction

+2

If this happened as you described it, then I think you should report your surgeon to your local medical board. Actions like this give us all a bad name.

Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Price escalation on the OR table

+2
I am appalled. I have never heard of such a thing. Did you see a board certified plastic surgeon for this procedure? It would be a different matter if you tried to add areas at the last minute but even that would have to be discussed and the consent form modified.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

+1

This is an awful story and I'm very sorry for your experience.  But I'm also surprised, as I've never heard of this or anything like this from a board-certified plastic surgeon (ie, a surgeon who is certified by a board recognized by the AMA).  Or from any other surgeon, for that matter!  Ironically, it may have worked out in your best long-term interest that you didn't go through with the surgery, although even that is speculative.  Either way, I'm sorry that this is what happened.

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

What?!!!

+1

I am shocked by this story, if true.  I have never heard of such behavior, except on comical television commercials.  It is certainly not standard practice, nor an acceptable standard of care.

I'm sorry for your bad experience.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Liposuction Stopped for More Money

+1

I am sorry to hear your account of what happened during your liposuction procedure. I recommend that you obtain a refund and start over with your liposuction with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Richard Wellington Swift, MD

Surgeon wanted more money

+1

Thank you for your question about liposuction fees and your surgeon's poor treatment of you. What you describe is unacceptable. I am very sorry.
• Was there any chance of misunderstanding between you? If not,
• Did you get a liposuction fee refund? If not, consult a lawyer.
• You can write to the state licensing board to file a complaint.
• You can write to the surgeon's specialty Society if any - -
• Any doctor can claim to be a Plastic Surgeon - choose a member of the  ASPS next time. I am truly sorry to hear about your bad experience.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Shakedown on the OR table

+1

Disclaimer: There are two sides to every story, and I hear only part of one story.  What I am hearing does not pass the smell test.  It is tacky, and may not be ethical.  I don't know what to tell you, except that it would be best to go elsewhere.

Be sure you use only a ps certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Price change

+1

This is a very disturbing account on many levels (ethically, legally and professionally).  You are probably better off not having this person operate on you anyway.  Hopefully your payment was refunded in full.  Make sure you chose a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  There are many doctors other than plastic surgeons that perform liposuction, so do your homework before proceeding.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Disturbing story

+1

The scenerio you have described is disturbing and maybe some key pieces of information are missing. Did you ask for additional areas of liposuction during the marking period and say something like "while you are there..."?  This happens all the time, but any additional procedures and subsequent additional fees, need to be discussed prior to the procedure, not after the procedure starts.  Or are you saying that he asked about your career and when he found out about you being a "high earner", he demanded more money?  While both scenerios are unacceptable, the second scenario is professional misconduct in my opinion. It is not legal to have 2 distinct fee schedules based purely on the person's income. (you can't charge a wealthy person more, simply because they have more money). Differences in fees need to be based on the complexity of the case and what specifically needs to be done. Was this a board certified plastic surgeon?  You may want to contact the office of professional misconduct and have them investigate your claims. If this happened to you, it likely happened to others. I am willing to bet your doctor is not a board certified plastic surgeon and would bet a lot of money that there are already many complaints on record about someone who acts like this.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Surgery

+1

Wow! This is a very interesting sequence of events. Are there any other details that are missing. I am disappointed about the scenario you have described

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS