Does Insurance Cover Hernia Repair?

I was told i had a small hernia in my belly, will my insurance pay for that to get fixed?

Have your doctor check for you

Coverage for a hernia depends upon the size, location, your symptoms, the state you live in, and your insurance.

You need to be evaluated by a plastic surgeon and they will try to obtain preauthorization on your behalf.

Does Insurance Cover Hernia Repair?

You would have to check with your own carrier, but hernia repair is usually a covered procedure. Your surgeon will know the pre-authorization process that is often requiredl

All the best. 

Does Insurance Cover Hernia Repair?

If it is a true hernia that has been confirmed by CT scan of the anterior abdominal wall, insurance coverage may be available.  However, it depends on the insurance policy and whether the doctor will agree to get involved with billing your insurance.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Insurance coverage for hernia repair

The short answer is that it depends on your insurance company and your individual policy. You should talk to your surgeon and get the procedure prior authorized. Good luck to you.

Hernia repair with tummy tuck might be a covered benefit

Those that do have a small umbilical or ventral hernia can seek insurance coverage for that portion of the procedure. The coverage will depend on a predetermination by your particular insurance plan.

Hernia Repair Covered through Insurance Plan?

Difficult to answer specifically,  given the different insurance policies out there, but generally speaking,  hernia repairs are often “covered” through insurance plans. Best to check with your specific company.