14 year-old with crooked nose. Born 4 months premature. Do I have a deviated septum and is surgery covered by insurance?

Hello, I'm a 14 year old girl and I couldn't help but notice that my nose is crooked and tilts to a side. I looked up why it might be, and a deviated septum may have been the cause. I usually can breathe through only one nostril (I can't specify which because it alternates) and I get sick quite a lot, and easily. If it helps, I was born 4 months premature (yes, a long time) and maybe there could've been trauma to my nose. Do I have a deviated septum? Will surgery be covered by insurance?

Do I have a deviated septum?

It is not possible to tell for sure whether or not your septum is deviated without performing an exam. The symptoms you describe can take place when the septum is deviated. A septoplasty is a functional procedure that will likely be covered depending on your insurance company. I would recommend a consult with a board certified rhinoplasty specialist. He or she may examine your nose in person and provide you with advice. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Deviated Septum and Septoplasty Covered by Insurance

If you do have a deviated septum and this is causing unilateral breathing problems, then the septoplasty may be covered by insurance.