Do I Have a Deviated Septum?

Hello, I'm a 14 year old girl and I couldn't help but notice that my nose is crooked and tilts to a side. I looked up why it might be, and a deviated septum may have been the cause. I usually can breathe through only one nostril (I can't specify which because it alternates) and I get sick quite a lot, and easily. If it helps, I was born 4 months premature (yes, a long time) and maybe there could've been trauma to my nose. Do I have a deviated septum? Will surgery be covered by insurance?

Do I have a deviated septum?

+1

It is not possible to tell for sure whether or not your septum is deviated without performing an exam. The symptoms you describe can take place when the septum is deviated. A septoplasty is a functional procedure that will likely be covered depending on your insurance company. I would recommend a consult with a board certified rhinoplasty specialist. He or she may examine your nose in person and provide you with advice. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Web reference: http://www.spaldingplasticsurgery.com/

Deviated Septum and Septoplasty Covered by Insurance

+1

If you do have a deviated septum and this is causing unilateral breathing problems, then the septoplasty may be covered by insurance.