Hello I Just Had a Baby Three Weeks Ago I'm Breastfeeding but I Want a Breast Augmentation when Should I Stop? (photo)

Hello I just had a baby 3 weeks ago and I'm currently breastfeeding , I always wanted my breast done and since this is my second and last child i want to go forward with my plans and get one , and since I was looking into having ba surgery around January February of next year . My question is when should I stop breastfeeding and when should I have a consultation I'm going to post some pre pregnancy photos of my breast if this helps your response is greatly appreciated thank you

Breast Feeding After Breast Augmentation #breastimplants

+2

I would say that you want all the milk to be dried up before considering a breast augmentation. Anything that will decrease the ability of your surgeon to adequately size you is counter productive. A good amount of time to wait is about 3 months. This will allow for all of the milk to dry up as well as for the post-partum changes that can occur to breast tissue to reveal itself. You can have sagging of the skin and laxity to the tissue which can affect your breast appearance. I would not have an augmentation until you are done having children. Make sure you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Good Luck!

Breast feeding and breast implants

+2

Your question is an important one. In order to know how you long you have to wait it is important to know why as well. If the breast milk making machinery is not completely turned off breast implant surgery can stimulate the breasts to make more milk. That milk can collect around the new breast implants before they are fully encapsulated causing a multitude of problems.

Therefore the clock of how long you need to wait starts when the breast stops producing milk not when you stop breast feeding. It has to be off for a number of months because if you have surgery a day after the breast stops making milk you will stimulate it to start again.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship in order to know if this assessment is valid.

When should I stop breast feeding prior to breast augmentation?

+2

Thank you for your question and photos.  This is a great question.  Most surgeons would recommend 3-6 months to wait after finishing breast feeding before having a breast augmentation.  The reason being is so you have less of a chance of developing a fluid collection in the breast that can get infected.  You can begin meeting with your surgeon prior to this.  That will often give you plenty of time to be prepared for surgery!

Good luck.

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Breast feeding and augmentations

+2

don't mix well as you already know.  Focus on finishing breast feeding when the time is right for you and then pursue your procedure.  But most surgeons wait at least 3 months and if you want to use a nipple approach, 6 months is even better.

Breast feeding and augmentation

+2

Good morning!

congrats on your new baby!  I counsel first time moms that we should wait six months from the time breast feeding stops until the time we consider augmentation.  The breasts continue to change dramatically in shape and size in those first six months, so in my opinion waiting until your breast have hit their final shape after milk engorgement gives us the highest chance for a predicable result.

Moms of two or more kids tend to know pretty well when their breasts have returned to their baseline size and shape and in these patients I tend to shorten the wait time to 4 or so months.

I hope this helps

Web reference: http://www.drsteely.com/

After breast feeding allow several months before breast augmentation.

+2

After you have finished breast-feeding is probably best to wait until any engorgement has completely subsided. 3 to 6 months seems a reasonable time.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,13-atlanta-breast-augmentation.htm

Augmentation

+2

You could have the consultation any time, but I would wait for at least 3 months after you stop breast feeding before you have your surgery.  Your breasts need to settle and we would need to see where you are before planning what size implants.

Breast augmentation and breast feeding

+2

If you are breast feeding now, you should wait about 6 months after no longer breast feeding before undergoing an augmentation.

Breast feeding and breast augmentation

+2

Congratulations for  your new baby !

How long do you plan to breast feed ?

I would recommend you stop at least 3 months before your consultation /surgery . 

Best wishes 

How soon after I stop breast feeding can I have breast augmentation surgery

+1

Most surgeons recommend waiting 3 months (minimum) to 6 months after you completely stop nursing and are completely dry to have breast augmentation surgery.  It's important that you are dry and not producing anymore milk because it could lead to an infection if you have surgery too soon.  When you are close to that is a good time to start seeing board certified plastic surgeons for consultations and they will be able to give you their requirements.  ac

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon